• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wrecker bed modification

Hooty481

Would be a good idea to me to put the control levers so they could be accessed from the ground instead of being on the truck. It would make it easier when working by your self.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wrecker mods..

Big Jeff - you go for it. I'd love to have a load more locker space on my 816. I'm used to the European syle military wreckers that have a ton more storage and all accessible from the ground. Fully accessorised with specific hooks and brackets to hold individual addapters, chains, snatchblocks, pins, shackles etc., etc.
The forward lockers on the 936/816 are deep and wide so you almost have to step into them to pick up the heaviest items. The rear under body lockers are too shallow (up/down) and awkward to organise stuff in. Having large loose pieces of kit (tree, tow bar) floating around on the deck is also a nuisance and not being fixed to a spot is also unsecure.
Only stuff that is too big or bulky need be carried "on top" of the deck, being 'unloaded' by the crane, all else would be better served from the ground at chest or waist height.

As far as structural integrity goes, if you chop out the floor and side angle but replace it with large steel boxes - assuming that you'll stitch or full weld inplace and connect to adjacent box or outrigger, it will be stronger than original - case in point - cutting big circles out of C channel to lighten it, weakens it imencelly, HOWEVER, if thicker rings or flares are done to the edge of the circle, the result is stronger than original AND lighter.

Hope you get some great pics of design and or the build.

I'm totally subscribed to this thread! :-D

1st pic - Foden medium wrecker - 4 side lockers RHS. 2nd pic, newer M.A.N SVR Heavy wrecker, again 4 lockers RHS.

Attachments

Last edited:

Welder Sam

Good thread fellas. Jeff, ill be watching for ideas. So far, all ive come up with is welding rather large bolts to the bedsides for the tree, med bar, and h*ll bar. H*ll bar needs to be where i can reach it with the boom tho. I work alone 99.9% of the time. A side ladder is also in the works. Arthur(arthritis) is rough on me already and im only 36, 6' and 275lbs. Easy access boxes would be super

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Ron.

While we are on the subject of more lockers - what was the intent of the TM layout that doesn't match the vehicle?... Perhaps a design change was needed but never implimented....

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Thanks Ron.

While we are on the subject of more lockers - what was the intent of the TM layout that doesn't match the vehicle?... Perhaps a design change was needed but never implimented....
Think the dotted lines show BELOW/NON-deck storage.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks