• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wrecker bumper vise on a deuce

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've browsed this topic on Steel Soldiers for quite some time. There's some pictures out there as others have already done this, but I couldn't shake the bug of wanting a vise on the front bumper of my deuce. It seemed like a very handy tool to have on the truck. I honestly would rather not have yet more weight on the front bumper (I need rear weight), but the location is just right.

For ease of reference, I've read on SteelSoldiers that at least the following models of vises were used on wreckers:
  • Wilton C2
  • Yost 33C

This last summer I purchased a rusty but perfectly intact wrecker vise plate, and an exact matching Wilton C2 vise appeared on a local ad just a few miles from my home. It's used, but not very. It was still very expensive, but real savings over new. The vise base holes lined up perfectly with the plate. That's a pretty good feeling.

2016-09-30 19.38.33.jpg 2016-09-30 19.40.51.jpg 2016-09-30 19.42.51.jpg

I am going to see if next Friday a steel fabrication shop can bend and cut an adapter plate to fit the vise plate to the deuce's frame extensions. I plan on just piggy backing on two or three bolt holes on the winch fame extensions and existing bolt locations on top of the bumper. I believe I will need to cut a rounded notch on the plate to clear the front right shackle mount. The plate will be sand blasted and painted too. After all is said and done, I'll also weld the nuts to the bolts holding on the vise, just so it can't walk away as easily.

Also, I'm going to need to move my license plate to the driver's side of the grill, or somewhere else as this massive vise will cover it completely.

Last edited:

tommys2patrick

I have a surplus army vise like that. I wanted to mount it on my deuce tractor behind the cab. It has a short deck and other than the 5th wheel the only thing there is the air line pogo stick. I can see a faint paint outline on the deck where a pioneer tool rack was mounted under the front edge of the 5th wheel.

Sorry, did not mean to hijack your thread. Those vises are as heavy as a big anvil and useful as heck. I like your idea and getting some weight aft of the cab if possible. keep us posted with pictures of the mount up!

F18hornetM

That's a cool idea. Just make sure you use a mount plate. Or wherever your going to bolt it down is flat. One of the guys I work with mounted one on a frame winch extension/bumper on a new truck [Line bucket truck] and there was a small height difference between pieces , about 1/4" high. when he tightened up the bolts he cracked a mounting foot. I don't let him mount things anymore :roll:

Hang on to that Wilton vise. They are worth Gold new. And for good reason.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I went through the effort of finding a Wilton C2, having another member pick it up, and deliver it to me at a rally. Once I set eyes on it, I decided it was too nice to have sitting out in the weather rotting away on a dumb wrecker, so I put it on my work bench in the garage, and the chi-com vise went on the bumper. Less than a year later the vice mutinied and split in 2! I now have an American vise(smaller and cheaper) waiting to go on. I think its a Yost.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hear ya Mr. Gimp! I have thought about putting the vise on my work bench instead... Hahahaha!

The good news is that my deuce is stored in-doors so the vise will spend little time in the weather. I do think I'd like to get a cover for it still, if possible.

I am also trying to decide whether or not to paint the blue/green on the vise a nice 383 Rapco green.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Vise when mounted, is special, and used often. But it should be mounted correctly too - mounted far enough forward so that one can clamp something (bar stock, etc.), so that it can hang down in front of the bumper.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Make sure you weld the nuts to the bolts if you mount it on the bumper! I'd hate to have to replace it.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Vise when mounted, is special, and used often. But it should be mounted correctly too - mounted far enough forward so that one can clamp something (bar stock, etc.), so that it can hang down in front of the bumper.
I do not believe that the stock (existing) bolt holes will mount the vise far enough forward to hang material in front of the bumper. I'm honestly not sure it would be possible to mount it far enough forward to do that - maybe if the front feet were located on the bumper mounting holes... However, the existing holes are close enough to the outside of the plate to hang material down, but that'd be between the bumper and fender.

Make sure you weld the nuts to the bolts if you mount it on the bumper! I'd hate to have to replace it.
Definitely!

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you made any progress so far ?
Unfortunately no. I acquired the parts with great gusto, but since the creation of this thread I've been stuck on my typical indecision of weighing the pluses and minuses now that I have all the factors in front of me.

Basically my internal debate is:
  • Do I really want that large of a vise on the front bumper?
    • It adds about 100lbs to the already heavy front end
    • However, the front bumper is certainly the most convenient and stable spot. A lot better than digging/hefting it out of a tool box.
    • It may interfere with the passenger headlight (about the lower 1/2" + the jaws off to the side, but maybe it'd not be noticeable, but I would only know for sure once actually driving.)
    • It may make general access of the engine bay more difficult as I'd have to stand on the bumper/vise or work from further away if my feet are still on my step latter.
    • Would I rather try to get a smaller Wilton instead?
  • Do I really want that expensive of a vise on my truck?
    • It'd certainly be a quality tool (if) whenever needed
    • Even though my truck is stored indoors, I'd want to a cover made for it - hopefully designed such that it'd stay on at highway speed.... would it then block the headlight more?
    • Would drilling a drain hole under the center of the vise be sufficient to keep the underside from rusting, or would it just allow more dirt and debris in?
    • No matter what I do (cover, drain hole etc) it will shorten the life of the vise vs just leaving it in the garage. Am I okay with that?
  • Would I rather have the vise on my workbench?
    • It's certainly a much better vise than my $100 Chinese vise from Ace Hardware, but my current vise has been working - but maybe I just don't know what I'm missing when using a high quality vise.
    • I'm not sure my work bench is beefy enough for the Wilton.
    • It would make my bi-yearly moving of my work bench and rearranging the garage for winter storage/summer use more difficult.
  • Would I rather sell the Wilton and put the money to use else where?
    • Why am I having this thought if I was already willing to buy it in the first place? Ah, such is life, goals and priorities can change.

I still don't deny that I would like to have a vise on the truck, as it would be neat and useful!

Last edited:

rustystud

With todays vises I would only use the "Wilton" as they are the only ones with a totally sealed barrel shaft. The others say they are sealed but they will leak and ruin your shaft and bearings. Of course the Wilton is also one of the most expensive vises out there. I still plan on mounting one to my truck, and yes I will "weld" the bolts on to it !

sharkhunter2018

My winch truck came with this Wilton. Don't know whether it is original or added on at some point during its life with Uncle Sam, but it came from GL with it. I rarely use it, but it works great. IMG_1069.jpgIMG_1068.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks