• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wrecker cab swap

86m1028

This sorta falls under modding, doesn't it ?

Looking to swap cabs on a recently acquired m936 with an m923 I have.
Both are A2's
Im thinking I can keep the wrecker running enough to use crane to swap cabs between trucks.
Does this sound crazy ?
Am I the first to try this ?
Anybody done this, if so any words of advise ?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
This sorta falls under modding, doesn't it ?

Looking to swap cabs on a recently acquired m936 with an m923 I have.
Both are A2's
Im thinking I can keep the wrecker running enough to use crane to swap cabs between trucks.
Does this sound crazy ?
Am I the first to try this ?
Anybody done this, if so any words of advise ?
I did an engine swap on the same truck but i used an aux gas engine and hydraulic pump to run the wrecker

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

86m1028

I did an engine swap on the same truck but i used an aux gas engine and hydraulic pump to run the wrecker

Yes, I've read your post.
I don't have any external hydraulic power though, Ive got to use the original power.
I think if I plan it out, I can pull it off.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Yes, I've read your post.
I don't have any external hydraulic power though, Ive got to use the original power.
I think if I plan it out, I can pull it off.
That or just rent one from a local place. I think its 60 a day from home depot for a hydraulic unit

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You only need 28gpm or more so you need 22hp or bigger engine. Go to your local hydraulic shop and make two quick connect fittings and hook into your tank. Extra hydraulic hoses for a wrecker are always good to have

86m1028

You only need 28gpm or more so you need 22hp or bigger engine. Go to your local hydraulic shop and make two quick connect fittings and hook into your tank. Extra hydraulic hoses for a wrecker are always good to have

Thank y'all for your advise.
Any recommendations on where to install the quick disconnects ?
Location wise on the truck, possibilities for other uses ?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Thank y'all for your advise.
Any recommendations on where to install the quick disconnects ?
Location wise on the truck, possibilities for other uses ?
Ill find the wrecker tm and show you the flow diagram. It is always after the tank though.

Csm Davis

You can hook up the quick connections one just after the main pump and the and one just before it with a shutoff in between the two. Or like you wanted just use your truck to power it move your batteries to the passenger side under the door toolbox and remove most everything off the firewall, you will have to do this anyhow, then once you have the wiring harness removed from inside the cab you can hook up a battery switch and starter switch outside the cab and the transfer case pto can be engaged by hand after you remove the linkages

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

red

Agreed no need for the external pump. before you disassemble the cab setup the PTO for crane operation, identify on the transmission shift mechanism where each gear selection is, rig up the engine to start/stop.

If you do decide to use a external powered pump you need to find out what quick connects they are using. Theres a couple different options out there depending on manufacturer and operational pressure. Not cheap either. I have some nice 5000psi rated QD's sitting in storage that are worth about $300 for each male/female set.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks