• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wrecker Feet rusted and not moving.

54reo

Buff the "male" part with a grinder and a wheel such as a "Scotch-brite" pad, 4 1/2".

Grease up the stem and repeatedly run it in and out to free the bore of the rust and crud.

Sounds like the feet have not been used in awhile.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Brian, mine are in better condition than yours in that area, but my jack screws were a pain. Looking at the pics you provided, I would try to sandblast the compartment they slide into and try to polish the outrigger beams as much as possible. Then, grease the crap out of it. One other option is a paint called "slip plate" One of our members on the 715zone painted his leaf springs with it and says it cut down on the friction of the springs for a better ride. He said he picked it up at a tractor supply place.

madsam

Thanks. I planed to grease the crap out of it. I think they had not been pulled out for at least 10 years. I think there was also some salt watter in there that sat in the dirt and crud which ate away the stuff. I like the idea of sand blasting, and grinding the leg smooth. When I washed it out lots of crud came out. Looking at things the tires throw salt and dirt up into holes in the channel Maybe a rubber tire skirt under the whole bed sticking out 3 inches would help things. I think I want to try to paint things first just to keep things from rusting in the future. I haven't looked at the front feet yet..

I wonder if tapping and drilling a zert fitting in the bottom would help for greasing in the future.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some flaps and skirts would surely help protect things. But often these vehicles suffer from neglect, if not abuse. If you get Her up in shape, then just do regular maintaince & simple stuff, like washing Her down with a hose after use. It will last a long time.

Lee in Alaska

madsam

Tim,

I first unbolted the lock that keeps the leg from coming out. No pic of that. Then I hooked a chain to the foot and to my jeep. I slowly backed up in 4w drive until the thing pulled out. The other foot pulled apart. The ring that holds it on sheered the bolt off. So I took a long pipe and a hand cable winch. I wedged the pipe at the bottom of the bottom edge of the leg. Then hooked one end to the truck and other to the pipe. I then winched the pipe in to the leg from the back and shoved it out the other side. Pic 51379 shows the led with out the foot. I am sure it is fixable though.

Brian

area52

Hey Brian,

theres a M816 body in a wrecking yard down here in Farmington that the guy wants to get rid of for $1500. I am going to scavenge some parts off of it next week hopefully. It doesn't have any axles and the motor is shot but it looks complete other wise if you need anything.

madsam

Does it have things like the chain on the back winch and snatch blocks? What about the mud brakes? I might be interested in going. When are you going?

area52

Its about 10 minutes from my house so when every you want to come down I can meet you there.

Not sure on the chain but I did see one good sized snatch block laying in the back. What are mud brakes?

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
he must be thinking about mud spuds. i am in need of the tentioner on the front winch rewinder if he has that part off a 816 i dont need the rewinder just the part with the rollers , i have one large snatch block brian if you dont find one up your way. thanks TIm

acetomatoco

I believe the term is "Chock, Field 8830150 2540-00-315-2306 2 ea" as listed under tools and equipment for Medium Wrecker in the -10.

5tonpuller

The problem with greasing the h*ll out of it is that the road grime, dirt and water will end up in there and that sucks.
I pull mine out when I get it out of the barn for the summer and before I put it away for winter I wipe them done and lightly grease
My $0.05 worth.
Matt

madsam

I think pulling them out every once in a while is a good thing. These just sat there for years. Probably sat there for years before it was retired.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had to free the heavily rusted stiff legs on the back of my old pipeline truck. Even using a torch and pulling on them with the tractor, they wouldn't come lose. I was just dragging the back of the pipeline truck. My ultimate success was to apply as much pull on the chain as I could and lock the tractor down. Then I heated it up real cherry red. Once it was red I beat on the chain with my spud bar and it eventually came free.

area52

To all who inquired about the parts M816 in Farmington:

Not to hijack this thread, but I stopped by the yard this afternoon and spoke to one of the owners. I gave him a list of all the parts people had pm'd me about. He did not want to pull anything off of the wrecker body itself since it still works and has most everything attached. The truck section - cab and engine stuff he will let go pretty cheap if someone pulls it them self.