• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wrecker Feet rusted and not moving.

houdel

MADSAM - That rust inside the leg tubes is going to be a PITA for the rest of the time you have the truck unless you get it out of there. The rust is thicker than the steel which rusted, so it will always bind unless you get most of the rust out. You need to get something to dissolve the rust like Naval Jelly. Try a hardware store and see what they recommend. Also try an auto parts store for a product called Metal Prep or something like that which is used to clean body metal before painting.

Maybe you can build up a custom sand blast nozzle to get inside there and blast the rust out. Or put some emery cloth on a stick and sand it out.

The best thing for removing rust is Muriatic acid, but unless you KNOW what you are doing I wouldn't recommend it. I have used in the past and it does work very well.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
brian can you post some pics of you getting the thing out this summer i plan on cleaning mine up some with some touch up paint thanks TIm

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
man great view to work by, i need to do exactly what your doing this summer. thanks for the pics and insiration TIm

madsam

No problem. There is no perfect answer for this. I wish these legs has rollers. But then they have to hold a lot of weight on the roller. I have thought of putting a hydrolic cylinder to push them out and pull them in. but that would be a big mod if they work fine now.

Gamagoat1

You might want to grease them all the way around. They rub on the sides as well as the bottom and top. Besides, it will keep them from rusting again. Lube the threads on the outrigger also, makes em turn real easy.

madsam

I had greased inside the pipe too on the sides. I was looking to see where they might hit. Then I will place grease there too. After removing the rust and dirt. there was extra room for the leg to slop arround. It will never be perfect, but it should work better.

madsam

One last thought on this.

Don't pull to hard on the foot itself. There is only a small pin and collier that holds that part in. I pulled on the knuckle with a chain once it came out. It is a lot stronger.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks