• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

? wrecker gas bottle colours,happy xmas

martinsaunders06

firstly i would like to wish you all a very happy christmas from here in gloucestershire uk and every success in all you do next year. ive recently found the 2 oxy/aceteylene cyls for my m816 wrecker and can you please confirm what are the correct colours for them and which one is which colour? the truck is 1972 and painted in the 3 colour woodland camo
many thanks martin

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Some trucks have them both green, others have one green and one(the smaller) yello. I am just going by what I have seen on trucks in service, not sure what is "correct".

steelandcanvas

I believe Gimp is right, the larger one, oxygen, is green. The smaller bottle, acetelyne, is yellow. This seemed to be a standard I saw through my motorpool years.

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I use to be in charge of a medical gas warehouse. Speaking on that authority (from 15 years ago), the large cylinder is oxygen (95% purity) is green with a white top approximately 4 inches down from the neck of the cylinder itself to the top and includes the cylinder cap. Oxygen is painted in white lettering on 2 sides of the cylinder in the green area using 2 inch lettering.

The other cylinder is indeed acytelene and is yellow. Paint acytelene in 2 inch letters down the cylinder on 2 sides.

With that said, I also seem to recall an exception for tactical vehicles that allowed them to be camouflaged. The military could get these cylinders filled if painted camo but you might have a hard time getting a gas company to fill them for you. They are suppose to be in the international standards as mentioned above.

martinsaunders06

thanks all for this info, i have searched through 5 ton forum and found various pics showing the green but was confused about the yellow one as i was thinking "you have a camoflaged truck with a bright yellow(here i am) thing stuck on side but if there is a exemption for tactical trucks it would make sense. do the the us army cyls differ from your civilian bottles in shape and dimensions over there?thanks.

Jones

The bottles are standard with sizes dependant on cubic foot capacity.
For yet another color possibility; I've seen O.D. tanks with the tops (where the tank goes from straight walled to domed w/ valve) painted white for oxygen and yellow for acetelyne.
These "hide" a little better than the standard bottle colors.
Remember too that with the newer IR-sensitive night vision gear, most everything out there can be spotted.
That's why you're seeing red fire extinguishers, reflectors and marker lights on the current issue vehicles. Our motor pool also says that black-out marker lights are a thing of the past.