• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wrecker jammed stabilizer leg

WPNS421

Today I was working with my M816 Wrecker and wanted to lift a cargo box with cage onto a M35 so we decided to put down the rear stabilizer legs, drivers side comes out very easy. Passenger side FORGET IT, no way could we pull it out of the sleeve it sits in.
Finally we took the boom and cable and pulled the leg out. We thought there might be a lot of dirt/rust etc in the sleeve so we removed the leg on the drivers side, pressure washed it a couple times and used scrappers to removed the caked on stuff, then rewashed tried to reinsert the arm would not go completely in.
Using a light we found the problem, there was a dent in the middle of the metal sleeve where the legs are stored, right where the rear winch cable pases.
What happened, the dent was caused by the rear winch cable to chain adapter. At some point the rear winch was engaged and this big piece was pulled into the small slot. Being taapered and having the 40 ton winch pulling it created a dent in the sleeve enough to jam the stabilizer leg.
The dent was right in the middle and we had 2 options. Option 1, remove the rear winch assemblies that were in the way, cut out the piece and reweld a new fabricated piece where the dent was. Option 2 Cut the metal on the stabilzer leg where the dent was, it meant removing 6 inches of metal from the top of the leg.
We choose option #2.
Now everything slides in very well and the metal removed should not cause any problems when the legs are being used.
The moral of all this "RTFI (READ THE F__KING INSTRUCTIONS) before playing with the toys. Your Honor! guilty as charged.
The biggest thing I learnt today, I LOVE playing wth my 5 ton wrecker.