• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wrecker request

FreightTrain

Banned
Does anyone live in or around the Gadsden,Alabama Area have a wrecker or know someone around here that does?I am in need of a little assistance with my deuce.I wasn't the smartest of SOBs a while back(about a year) when I was trying to rebuild my front axle.I was only using a bottle jack to hold the truck up and well,you guessed it.It fell off after I got the wheel,spindle,knuckle,everything off.Broke the jack in the proccess.I bought a 12ton bottle jack and the thing blew up the first time out.Can't get a jack under the axle it is so low to the ground.Managed to get a land scaping timber under the axle before the last jack died so the axle is off the ground slightly.With Christmas so close I don't have the funds to go buy a bigger jack but I want to try and get the truck back road worthy for the anniversary of recieving it which is I think the 3rd of January but forgot the year(Almost want to say 2002 right after 9/11).

dmetalmiki

Dont struggle SO MUCH TIZ an army truck NOT a limo! SO JACK OR LIFT USING FIELD TEQHNIQUES get reiable competant assistant help!THEN lash gun plank stave or huge log to front bumber LEANING AWAY from your truck lash it VERY firmly in fact LASH TWO of them IN an X (across each other) where they hit the ground DIG A DEPRESSION (hole) then DRIVE THE TRUCK IN LOW?LOW forward (forcing the staves into the rescession) AND lifting the FRONT CLEAR OF THE GROUND .. CHOCK IT SAFELY> to stop roll AND prevent dropping down!! YOU can now RE-ADJUST THE STAVES CAREFULLY yet again (replce positions.. and re-lash to bumper.. REPEAT PROCEEDURE> OH by the way NEXT time dont faff about with crap gear! USE YOUR OWN ARMIES TEQNIQUE if you dont possess lifting jacks of suitable strength.

FreightTrain

Banned
Yea,it was a Cobalt from Lowes.Made in China!Heck my tool sale jobbers work better than that!The first one that died,got kinda smushed when the truck rolled off of it.It was a 20 ton tool sale special.It was a good one.Not a lick of trouble till a really big truck rolled it over and landed on the inprovised handle(tire iron from got knows what).I am kinda embarresed to post a picture in it's current condition.Both Pins on the axle are rusty now and the knuckle area if full of grass clippings.such a shame a know.

mangus580

Dont worry about the shame.... you are coming to your senses, and getting it fixed.... I am sure someone has some ideas, if they can just see how its situated... A picture is worth a 1000 words.

dmetalmiki

FM tm 20-22 field recovery in technical articles has the method description AND pics to show the technique..Ok..good luck BE SAFE.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I don't know how tight you are on cash, but I would just pick up a cheapo one to get it up. I think I remember reading the front axle only having about 5 or 6 thousand pounds on it, so you don't need anything bigger then a 6ton. You can always jack on the bumper, and brace with wood. Once you have the height under the axle you can properly get it up in the air. Grease and a bag would have saved you alot of worry.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have a solid piece of steel bar stock like 1.5" diameter by 5 or 6 FT long, and a roll around floor jack, you can place the bar under the axle so it sticks out behind the axle about 1 FT, and put a wood or metal block or plate under it. Then place the long end of the bar, now sticking out from under the front of the truck, on the floor jack, and carefully lift the axle that way. Have prepared some 2x6 planks maybe 3' long and have a brave assistant slide them under the axle as you lift it. Once you have maybe 4 of them under it, you can remove the bar and the cheap floor jack, etc. - you should then be able to get a large enough and strong enough floor jack under it so that you can safely lift it and emplace a jackstand. But don't take my word for it, this is a hazardous job to jack up such things.

FreightTrain

Banned
Don't think that hasn't been though my head a few times.Hey,atleast Everything other than the knuckle and axle tube are in the cab under cover.I'll get a pic tomorrow.I thought about getting a railroad tie and doing the Pole Valt thing but kinda shyed away from it since my great ideas usually turn out to be REALLY REALLY EXPENSIVE SCREW UPS!Maybe why I currently have a 1994 Ford F350 with blown Diesel,a 1991 Ford F350 that I bought with a blown motor,and a Deuce and a half that I don't have a clue what all else I screwed up just yet.so far the list consist of front bearings and seals,Clutch,Throw out bearing,pressure plate(Mud locked up the throwout bearing burned the arms off the pressure plate,and teh clutch well,I got everything for $75 good take out and the new clutch looked better than the original but not much),2 running boards,2 batteries,Fender,Tire,Driver side window,parking brake,brake shoes,brake drums(how many I don't know yet!).Found out a good new Rule.....The Drunk SOBs in the bed saying the truck won't get stuck doesn't mean squat!

Also,If you can't see the tops of the tires,you got problems!!!!!Found out why they called that one the Idiot Hole!

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I once took a jeep full of girls on an off road night trip just to hear them make those girly noises that teenage boys like to hear. We were driving in a huge tract of land that was outside of a local golf course when we hit a drainage ditch about four feet deep. I got the front wheels up the other side but with so much #ss in the back the rear diff burried itself in the mud of the ditch wall. I got the girls off and said push. Well you probablly guess how much effort these girls gave so I come out and ask anyone know how to drive a stick? One of them says oh yeah so after showing her exactly what to do while I pushed and organized the other girls into legitimate effort I said go.....She floors the accellerator and leaves the clutch in way over reving my little F-Head in the 59 CJ3B. I go up to get her to let off the gas and when she does such a sickening sound I had not heard in my early years. A swallowed valve left me with not enough power to even attempt a second try so the girls now loudly complaining and I all walked back to the B&K where I picked them up.

Thanks to a good friend and some Pontarosa Pine boards we got her out and home for the engine rebuild that followed.

All this to say some times the fun means lots of work but get over it you are a man!

Have fun and lets see the pictures

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any progress or pictures yet?

FreightTrain

Banned
Soon as I find my dang Prehistoric digi Cam I will post a pic.I got it up and off the ground.Not pretty but it it up.Used a 20 Ton air over Hydraulic jack.Lifted it as much as possible,2x4s underthe axle dropped the jack,added as many 2x4s as possible repeat.2" at at time it went up.Need to go to lowes and buy a Railroad tie to cut up into jack stands.