• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

wrecker rope

Csm Davis

Only going to get a small capstan winch like on a sailboat, not sure where to mount it as I will probably need to be able to use it while letting out line on the big winch. Not sure if it will work or not just trying to get the use of the rear winch down to a two man job not 3+.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only going to get a small capstan winch like on a sailboat, not sure where to mount it as I will probably need to be able to use it while letting out line on the big winch. Not sure if it will work or not just trying to get the use of the rear winch down to a two man job not 3+.
then you'll need 600' of 1" rope just incase you need to pull out all 300" of rear winch! (and that's straight pull, without using the two snatch blocks for the 1" Manilla!)

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
then you'll need 600' of 1" rope just incase you need to pull out all 300" of rear winch! (and that's straight pull, without using the two snatch blocks for the 1" Manilla!)
1"would be over kill, a no load of just pulling the rear cable out, you could use 5/8" good rope just fine, would be more then enough.

Csm Davis

Yes 1" way to big was thinking 7/16 or 1/2" climbing type rope plenty strong for pulling the cable out and only 300' as most pulls will be less than 150' and you can always rerig for more length if needed.
Oh and you won't find any Manila rope on my wrecker.

Csm Davis

I will be getting 300' of Manilla rope, just 'cause the BII says so. I have the two 1" pulley blocks though they don't appear to work as a pair (The single sheave doesn't have the thimble end - yet the double sheave does - should be the other way around inorder to get 4:1 pull or 3:1 with change of direction) ... I can't for the life of me see the purpose of the 1" setup in the BII, as it's lifting capacity is way beyond that which could be muscled by even a 2 man crew, with that said - alternatively why would you hook it to a vehicle when you have the real winches... Way more usefull would be a 1/2" or even a 3/8" pulley block setup.

Any "Hotel 8's" who used an M816/M936 read this and want to chime in?.....................
The reason for the 1" setup is probably because of the strength of the Manila rope and a that you can pull on a 1" better than a smaller rope. So a few guys can pull a couple thousand pounds with the confidence of the big rope. And I use my 1" pulleys with smaller rope all the time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks