• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

wrecker starting issue

jeep thing

truck used to start with few seconds of cranking the motor, and run strong and never stall, then it changed, the truck would start as always very quickly run for a few seconds and stall,at this point the truck would take minutes of cranking to restart unless i use starter fluid,after truck would start and run for few minutes i could turn truck off then restart with no issues for up to 3 to 8 hours,after that it would be hard to start again,now the truck wont start unless i use starter fluid and even if i run it for hours as soon as i shut her down it will only restart with starter fluid,also the throttle response is like a turle compared to the way it used to be,my question is does the wrecker use a fuel pump, or does the motor vacume pull deisel from tank,will the truck run without fuel pump if it has one,buddy of mine says he has multi fuel deuce and his truck ran when the fuel pump **** the bed,ran like **** but it ran,could my problem be a fuel pumpaua

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Helps to know what truck we are having problems with.

AIR, AIR, AIR, sounds like it is sucking air, if it is a 816, check the FUEL change over valve, also the lines to it, have you changed the fuel FILTER
No intank pump if 816, has a gear supply pump

HAVE you READ the TMs,, soumds like YOU NEED TO

you can find them here
http://www.jatonkam35s.com/
OR
http://www.liberatedmanuals.com/
OR
https://www.logsa.army.mil/etms/ind...5fb95459e-A3015A99-D14A-19E1-238F1793FB3D9566
This is the mil. TM web site,
--says bad cert., click to go anyway,

Last edited:

area52

Is your wrecker an M816? Then there is no fuel pump in the tank and you are more than likely sucking air through a leak in the fuel line somewhere ( probably the selector valve rubber lines).

Gunnermac

Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do yourself a big favor and change all the rubber lines on the truck, particularly if it is an 800 series truck. The lines are probably 40 years old and can have tiny air leaks that can be hard to find but will make you tear out your hair.

jeep thing

thanks guys ,sorry i thought i did put that it was 816,i will look for leaks in the system and change the hoses,now that i know that it is not a fuel pump in tank situation:D

area52

As a tip for the selector valve lines - remove the toolbox under the cab. Its got like 4 bolts I think. Makes getting to the lines a whole lot easier.