• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wrecker to the rescue

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I've been baby sitting a fellow SS's M936 wrecker for a while now and today it saved my bacon. One of the fellows helping me do fencing got too close to a ditch with my primary tractor and slid into an abyss of goo. Since a straight line pull was out of the question (I was afraid it would damage the front axle) I decided to put the wrecker to work. Now we all know Murphy is an opportunist and he was laying in wait for me. The batteries on the wrecker are weak and of course it wouldn't start. No problem I slaved it off with the M927 and positioned it to do the deed. Now let me also add that it has a fuel issue (switching valve) so I was running it off a plastic drum of fuel behind the cab. This works well except that the return line still goes into the drivers side fuel tank. When the truck is idling (in the case when you are using the crane) a lot of fuel is pumped back into the tank. So I get the wrecker positioned and get the tractor almost out of it's predicament and of course the drum ran dry and before I could shut the engine off it sucked the system dry. Let me also all that it is a real PITA to get the system re-primed. And since the batteries were low I had to reposition the M927 to start the wrecker again. Did I also mention that it was oppressively hot and humid today. Well after I had expended my extensive vocabulary of profanity and cursed the Green Iron Gods profusely the beast finally started. I ended up lifting the tractor up completely to get it out of the hole. I have rented a rock drill to set post up in the back forty and I just can't wait to see how that goes tomorrow.IMG_4180.jpgIMG_4174.jpgIMG_4167.jpgIMG_4163.jpgIMG_4157.jpg

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
was the driver's pants brown on the seat? that looks like a pretty good angle..
It was pretty steep....I think the bucket saved him from a roll over. Note to self.....don't let the young kid drive the tractor....even if he says "I do a lot of bush hogging with Pappaw's tractor". No injuries and Murphy had a good laugh.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad "Murphy" only visited and didn't take up residence. Glad all are safe and nothing broken except some young pride.

God bless,
Tony

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That was a nice job for the wrecker. Glad no one got hurt.
I do not like to get my tractor (John Deere) at any angle.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Whoa, the engine should be no less than 1300 rpm when the pump is engaged, definitely NOT at idle.
The OLD possum molester can't remember everything, think he was doing good to get the pump pto engaged and them make it to the crane operators seat without falling off the 936

plumkrazy

So glad all are OK--Last year a 74 yr. old farmer just down the road was shredding his pasture and stock tank and failed to show up for lunch. His wife found him under the tractor behind the stock tank dam. It looked as if he rolled it off of the dam. Had farmed all his life. It was a really sad deal.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Whoa, the engine should be no less than 1300 rpm when the pump is engaged, definitely NOT at idle.
I did have it idled up when using the crane as per Ron's instructions. I can't believe how much fuel is sent back to the tank when the beast is not running down the road. Funny thing is I ran it from Redstone to Sand Rock (80 miles) and only had to pump fuel from the saddle tank back up to the drum once. One of my projects is getting that fuel system fixed when I get a "round tuit".