• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wrecker tow light SNAFU

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
A while back I picked up a set of tow lights that are used when towing a vehicle with a military wrecker.

The end that plugs into the wrecker had some pins missing so I decided to splice another end onto it.....and therein lies a tale of wiring woe.

As you can see by the photo the end that plugs into the lead vehicle (left) has far more wires (12) than the cable that goes to the tow lights (7).

The wires on the left cable are as follows:

Pink w/thick black stripe
Pink w/green stripe
Pink w/white stripe
Pink w/thin black strip
White w/green strip
White w/black strip
White w/red stripe
White
Black
Black w/white stripe
Black w/red stripe
Black w/green stripe

The wires on the tow light cable are as follows:
Green
Black
Orange
Blue
White w/black stripe
Red w/black stripe
Solid Red

If I knew which are the grounds on each side I might be able to figure out what wire does what as far as brake lights, turn signals and tail lights by process of elimination.

I really need these lights to go recover a trailer using my M927 this coming Thursday.
Any insight or tech support will be greatly appreciated.

:wreckerman893:

Attachments

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, this is easy. Using basic math skills, I determined you simply need to splice each of the 7 wires from the one cord, to 1.714 of the wires on the other cord (with 12 wires).

Yeah, that should work.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Richard,
I had to do something similar, and to do it, there is a pin diagram somewhere that says pin B is this, D is that, etc. I used a multimeter to trace out the wiring, to find the ground, left, right, marker. Only 4 really need to be connected, unless you plan to tow in blackout conditions.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
DH math is far too complex for me. 12 wire vs 7 wire. 12-7=5. 5 divided by 2 is 2 1/2. Need to add 2 1/2 wires to the 7 strand cord and remove 2 1/2 from the 12 strand cord.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks