• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wrecker welding tanks/bottles

Augdog1964

We tried to fill my bottles, and were told they had to be pressure tested. Then got a call about two weeks later saying they could not pressure test the short bottle as it did not have the industry acceptable markings.

iatractor

I work for Airgas and might be able to shine some light on your situation. Your oxygen cylinder is what Airgas calls a 200 size. As for the correct acetylene, the military uses a couple of odd sized acetylene cylinders. One size is called an AC 4.5 (by airgas terminology) and it is shorter and fatter than the standard 4 (or some call them a w/s). The other size that I have dealt with are #5. Not overly common but they are out there on the mobile container shops that are hauled by the hemmts. On rare occasions we will have the national guard and reserves give us their empties to be sent off for refill (they do not exchange due to their cylinder ownership and asset tracking) The #5 will be available at many airgas facilities if they have customers that use them. Due to the size and weight (think they tip the scales at or around 200#) most industries don't use them. As for the 4.5 they are pretty much exclusive to the military and various federal agencies. If you are wanting dummy cylinders, talk to you local branch and ask them to contact their fill plant/and or their acetylene plant. Many times they have cylinders that did not pass hydro test and are awaiting the junk yard. There is a pretty good chance the acetylene plant will have some old 4.5's that did not pass. They are normally de-valved and may have other permanent destruction done to keep them from being used, same way with the oxygen cylinders.

Csm Davis

Okay bringing this on back up because I still have a few bottles for sale and to give a little advice on if you're going to refill your bottles. Paint them pink or something that is not a color you see on the other bottles at the store or you may never see them again my store has been great to work with but the plant that refills them lost 4 of my bottles. So I have nice new bottles but not stamped us government anymore. So it won't take a long time to repaint them green or yellow when you get them back just make sure you can find them in a sea of other bottles.

m38inmaine

I had a similar problem witht the acetylene tank for my M1031, took it to get it refilled/swapped and they "lost it", took a year for them to find a replacement. The tank is unique size, the local depot now has a spare full one on hand for me. What was neat is the replacement tanks they supplied had military stencilling on them.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Subsribed, I'm also looking for the "correct bottles" for display. Would be great to find some still with in hydro date.
JC