• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wrecker

moparguy

Dum question,, Can anyone tell me the diff between the single and double cylinder lift wreckers/cranes??

Is one just newer then the other?
Are both rated at the same lifting capacity??

I looked at 3 Wreckers, one was a gas 3 mast/5th wheel, one a gas 2 mast, and one a diesel 2 mast.... I got the diesel 2 mast, it was the best buy....Running driving, has a little engine prob and no front winch tho.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
the first is a m246 tractor-wrecker, same as the diesel m819, it has a Austen-western crane, the second is a m62 with a austern-western crane, the third is either a repowered m62 or a m543/m816, which has a Gar-Wood double lift cyl. crane, all can lift the same weight, the m543 replaced the m62 when austern-western lost the contract to provide the wrecker crane, everything is the same for both wreckers (the frames, drives train, rear winch,ect) except the crane and mount and the engine (m62 was gas, m543 was diesel (have not heard of a gas m543 except where a m543 bed was put on a m62 frame.))

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a few front winches. PM me for details. I'm going to Gilbert PA in a week(RedBall Rally). I could possibly deliver one to the show.

What kind of engine problem? Maybe we can help...

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Gamagoat is right, the 543 was gas, the a2 was multi. thank you, for bring that up. has anybody seen a gas 543 or where thay all upgraded to a2s ???

Gamagoat1

I have a good friend that has a M543. It is a Gasser and I may be doing some work on it for him. If so I'll take some pictures and post them. As to how many are left, don't know.

moparguy

The engine has lots of blow by. I`m thinking its a busted rocker, like my old 2 1/2 had the one time. Lots of diesel fuel in the oil as well. It was not a wrecker of of its life the body was switched over to a old 5 ton fire/brush truck. And the crane is a single cylinder lift.

I might just take the crane body off and put it on my old mack.
(if i do that the hole 5 ton would be up for grabs)

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where are you located in PA? I might be interested, if you pull the crane off the frame.

moparguy

O and while we are on this subject and i hate to :deadhorse:, but i could use a set or a good set of drawings for the support arms/ jack poles are used for static lifts.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
nopics

a Austen-western crane, if NOT a wrecker frame, be careful, the wrecker is doubled or tripled from the cab to the rear, the rear suspension is different, it uses a beam on top of the springs to take the load

Last edited:

moparguy

Here are the 2 pics i have i didnt make it up there tonight and its not totally mine yet i o a little on it.

Well guess the crane is going on my mack then cause as far as i know thats a plane 5 ton frame the crane is on.

Attachments

moparguy

ill see what i can do i might not be able to get up there till thursday next week
Got 2 car shows this weekend and putting a old dodge crew cab together.

area52

Thats not a wrecker truck originally. the headlights are low like on a truck without a winch. All wreckers had a front winch to start with.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
he said that the body was put on another 5t truck frame, this one looks like w/o winch, with that said, the body might even be a 60 or 108, side and rear views will tell a lot

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks