• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wrecker

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Notice that the ebay truck is a mack powered truck(M543) and has the extra extension in the boom.

Your still not comparing apples to apples.

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
DH,
the #1 ebay truck is a moded M246 not a M543, it has a Austen-western crane, the rear has a plated over area where the 5th wheel went, the bed sides are short( end right behind the crane). the #1pic that mopower posted shows full length bed sides with ribs, the 246/819 has short flat sides, he posted the ebay pics to show what kind of boom stile 108/60 compared to 62/246/819 booms, still think its a m62 crane that he has, also he seems to have a larger enterence cutout like the m62

does any one have a side pic of a M62 boom tip, i believe ALL the austern-western cranes had the 2 pins on the end of the boom, but only the 246/819 had the extension along with the longer base boom

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I understand now! I definately get confused wth these wrecker numbers and features. Sorry if I have added confusion. I'll try to keep quiet and learn more...

Thanks for the correct info Ron [thumbzup]

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
DH,
I changed my post 3 times after you first posted, had to look at the pics about a dozen times, then reread everything at least 3 times. at my AGE I get CONFUSED real easy, but I tend to forget what COMFUSED me

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Me too! I was about to undelete one of my earlier posts that I deleted because it was too confusing! I decided not to undelete it, as it would confuse us both, even more!

It had a few relevant thoughts on the differences.

I think the only thing I have learned/confirmed for sure in this thread is, AWE NUTS, I forgot....rofl

moparguy

I`m going to possibly go up tomorrow grab some more pics and work on it a bit.
And it does have a rear mount winch.
If the frame is the reg 5 ton frame the crane body will be going on my old twin screw Mack, so if anyone would be intrested in the cab/driveline i would be willing to sell it after its all paid for (on my end that is)....

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Mopar, even if you put it on your Mack, id reinforce the frame rails and the suspension especially if its set up for the long haul as compared to a dirt truck, on the other hand if its set up as an equipment toter as my old 48 Mack was, then the weight of the world wont move it

m816

Having been assigned to operate the M62, M543,M543a2, and havin owned a M816, I found that the M62 will lift more weight with the single piston using the boom only but the 543's will pick up more weight using the hoist with the boom already up and extended. Both have excelent push power using the croud piston( exercising main guns on tanks) and the 816 can out pull the other three wreckers when hauling heavy trucks with the front ends raised. I think that is because of the extra weight of the cummins engine and the ten inches in added wight out fron of the steering axel. The older trucks deffinately suffered as far as towing and turning was concerned and the 816 was a little better. All are great recovery trucks but lousey tow trucks. I speak fom my experiences only. Vinny

moparguy

Can anyone send me pics of the jack poles? Are they the same for all wreckers???
And also need pics of the suspension of the wrecker...thanks Paul

moparguy

Anyone??? Send me pics so i can make sure the frame is diff on the one im buying please... Or post them...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks