• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wreckerman and son go to Tank Town USA

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Today my youngest son Kyle and I made a pilgrimage to Tank Town USA located in NW Georgia. Tank Town is operated by Todd Liebross and is on the main Highway just north of Blue Ridge, GA. http://www.tanktownusa.com/ I had read about Tank Town in the local fish wrapper and knew Todd was someone I wanted to meet. He is on Steel Soldiers and when we first spoke on the phone he invited me to come over and check out his operation. Since my son and I usually do one father and son thing a week I thought he would get a kick out of this. He has never been in the military and tolerates my Green Iron Addiction to a point (can't get him to go to a rally). I kept the destination of our trip a secret until we pulled into Tank Town and he realized he had been shanghaied. When he started checking out the vehicles he became a lot more enthusiastic about being there. Todd arrived shortly after we did with a doomed car on a trailer. We helped him get it set up for the death match with the APC that was idling menacingly on the field of battle. Several other folks stopped by to look at the vehicles and ask questions and Todd gave them the nickel tour. While we were waiting for the party that had booked the demolition to arrive Todd let my son drive the APC around the course a few times with me perched atop it shooting pics. This earned me a huge stack of "COOL DAD" points with my son and gave us some great memories. Many thanks to Todd for allowing us to have some fun.IMG_3943.jpgIMG_3935.jpgIMG_3946.jpgIMG_3954.jpgIMG_3960.jpg Photo 1. Kyle inspects ill fated car. 2. These are the APC's that Todd has. There are several variations on site to include a maintenance track, a command track and troop carriers. 3. The obligatory Elmo pic with Todd. 4. Todd instructs Kyle on driving the APC. 5. A flatted car awaits insult added to injury.

Last edited:

jedawson1

My 2 boys are a little young to appreciate this, however my 5 year old would appreciate the car crushing.

Thanks for sharing, may have to make that father son trip myself one day soon.

sgtrisk

Looks like a great time to me!

Reminds me of the "incident" that occured in my NV Nat'l Guard unit a few months before I joined. We had just been issued the new-fangled horseless carriages and... no, wait, wrong story.

The Guard unit in southern NV (Henderson, Las Vegas area) is a combat tank battalion. They have the use of the desert just outside the town to the SW, just outside the armory proper. Anyway, on one training run up through the dry washes they came upon an old car that had been left out there. Not REAL old, just kinda "recently" old. The tank crew decided that it was abandoned and proceeded to "modify" it with the tank (treads, not gun). Well... later that day the commander got a call from a VERY unhappy woman who had apparently just been out for a hike. She was a little disappointed that her car was flattened! ROFL!! Needless to say, the State of Nevada purchased her a new car. And everyone has strict orders to not run over ANYTHING in the desert.

But crushing cars with a tank is always SO satisfying!!

3dAngus

I'm totally shocked it is not illegal to have THAT MUCH FUN!

That is really cool. Reminds me of my brother out at the tank test firing range at Ft. Benning driving a tank, almost over a cliff. (A military driver was really driving it for safety, it was just a scare for the audience)

Those tracked vehicles are the best. I think we would all love to do something like that. Thanks for sharing.
Tell Kyle to come to the next Ga. Rally. For his next great adventure, he can try some of your chili-mac.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Tell Kyle to come to the next Ga. Rally. For his next great adventure, he can try some of your chili-mac.
I've been bugging him to make a rally with me but so far he hasn't made a big rally with me. He has gone to some of the local events where there are MV's. He has tried the Chile-mac but declared it an acquired taste he has yet to acquire.