• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wreckerman's wrecker needs answers

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Hey folks. Tomorrow or Sat I will try to move the 816 to it's new home. It has been at an alternate LZ while getting repowered.
I am working nights this week and have limited access to the computers at work. When I am home I am sleeping or getting ready to do another 12 hours at the plant.
I tried a few searches but I am puter disfunctional so I ask assistance from those in the know.
Here are some of my issues:

What type fluid goes in the power steering pump?
How much coolant does the 250 come-a-part hold?
Can someone give me a link to the -10 manual that shows where the spring on the brake linkage hooks to? My brake pedal goes to the floor and wont return.
What type oil goes in the transmission?

Thanks for any assistance.

Wreckerman

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
What type fluid goes in the power steering pump?- hydraulic fluid/10w
How much coolant does the 250 come-a-part hold?- 5gal+/-
Can someone give me a link to the -10 manual that shows where the spring on the brake linkage hooks to? My brake pedal goes to the floor and wont return.
What type oil goes in the transmission?

Thanks for any assistance.

Wreckerman
Best I can do.

madsam

Well, I am not home now, but I would be interested in some of those fluid questions. I will, someday, need to replace fluids. My PTO is leaking, and I will need to rebuild it in the future.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well. I just fixed a leaking lower radiator hose (M818) and it took 8 gallons to fill it after removing the lower hose.

AMGeneral

Ok WM,I have a few answers for ya in sequence,

15W40 or automotive power steering fluid will both work OK
Between 8 and 10 gallons,depending on whether or not it has a heater(remember to use a coolant additive to protect from IRON WORMS)
Can't help ya on the return spring.
Regular 80W90 in the trans(make sure it's brass safe)

Hope this helps

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Each question you ask denotes a vehicle in it's final moments of life WM. The only course of action now is to call someone who can transport such a vehicle and beg him to remove the large boat anchor from the alternate LZ. If you plead convincingly enough...said feller may haul it off without charging you.
Always trying to help a friend: PB:roll:

jmcguffin

I just finished going through the Lubrication Order for the M816. Boy is a deuce easy compared to this truck.

The document is LO 9-2320-260-12 and is on the website.

Steering Fluid is spec'd as OE/HDO 10

If you do the full order, you will really enjoy getting up between the rear axles and checking the fluid level in the bevel gear case that drives the hydraulic pump.

TM 9-2320-260-10 for the 5 tons has a capacities section and lists 32 quarts without heater and 42 quarts with heater for the cooling system

Cheers,

Jim McGuffin

dlawbrey

The spring connects to a tab on the drivers side of the clutch housing directly behind the the thru shaft for the throw out bearing.

m.walker

On quite a few older 5 tons I noticed the brake pedal arm itself rubbing on the floor and not returning . Bent the floor a little out of the way they came back fine . Might not be your problem but I thought I'd throw it out there . Good luck !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks