• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wrecker's M62, M88, M108, M543, M816, M984 TRACK/WHELLS

tamangel

RE: Wrecker

just gather thread links from all the other posts and post them in this thread. Then in the future people can post new threads and pics in one place focusing on one subject..

Mike

joec

I think we do. I have talked to Chris(SS) and he said he will look into it. It seems that 1 in 4 of every member has one.

CCATLETT1984

but the thing is, the only topics that should be allowed in that forum "IF" its created, would be pertaining to the wrecker "specific" parts or pictures. The thing I dont want to see happen is for people to start posting regular deuce/5ton questions in that forum and make them even harder to find down the road.

joec

Well it would be a specific Wrecker and recovery topic. There is allways going to be some posting in the wrong area. No different then deuce, hot rodding, 5t and so on. I think it benifit all of those who own them and ones that are interested in getting one. Plus offer some insight and pictures of mods done. Like Houdels M123 with a 816 body. Very Different and very Unique. Diversity is what brings us all together. I love the truck. 3 color and super singles would make it more Unique then it all ready is. Some don't like it the idea of doing what he wants. I myself and the majority like it. There will allways be conflict of what people don't or dislike about the mods they are doing.
Just my... 2cents

I would like to have a area of interest that is open to all different variations of Recovery in general. Military vehicles that are recovery units with tires or tracks it's all good.

Sorry for any spelling errors spellcheck isn't working! For me

Shackey985

We downunder at the Army Tank Museum have 2 wreckers, to complete the set used by the spanners (RAEME) attached to Armoured Corp we need a Diamond T.

Our oldest is the M543A2 made by Kaiser Jeep Corporation, it has a GM Detroit Diesel 6V53 developing 215 HP.

This is the same engine we fitted to our M113's used by us in Vietnam, we also sent some of our M543A2's, it was used primarily with armoured units.

Did American units use the same engine in there M113's and M543'S?.

The other is the M816 that was common to all spanner recovery units in the 70's and early 80's being replaced by Mack R600's with the old twin boom.

The 816 is my truck and is excellent for all the towing and lifting jobs that have to be done around the museum. Brakes are still an issue but the park brake works and I only use low range. The best job was lift towing our blown up Taipan.

They have been known to tow start centurions and there crane is excellent for lifting power packs, why we went back to twin boom I don't know?.

What are some off the jobs you have done and is the brakes on these trucks a common problem.

raeme

Shackey985 we had the M543, with the contintal 6 cylinder in when I was with 21 Const Sqn Wksp in pucka in the late 70s. T he SQN were going to take the cranes off and make dump trucks.
raeme.

vtdeucedriver

Shackey................would love to see pics of the install of that detroit in the M543. Here in the states, it was the Multifuel engine. You also could find a Mack Endt-673 in a M62 that originally had the R6602 gas engine. That Detroit sounds sweet!!! the 6V53 is a good engine.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for resurrecting this thread Frank, hadn't seen it before, however it appears a little underutilised...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks