• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wrong parts.

Mackfire68

Ok, this is a great site. I was having battery / alternator problems with my duece and I asked some questions. Several members chimed in with some great advice. I determined I needed an alternator. Took the old one to a local alternater shop and the guy says it couldn't be rebuilt, at least not for under $500.00 bucks. Memphis Equipment had one for $420.00. I had a couple of offers for a used one for $100.00 plus shiping. Took the $100 deal, recieved it a few days later, took it to the alternater guy to check it and erverthing was fine. OK so far so good. The used alternater had a three belt pully, no problem I took the three belt pully off and replaced it with the two belt pully from the old alternater. OK again so far so good. I installed the used alternater. and since the old belts looked fairly new I deceided to reuse them. When I went to tighten the belts, there wasn't enough room to adjust them. The belts were too big. How can the same size alternator with the same pulley and same belts not work. Anyway I went back to this web site to look up the coorect belt. Again another reason why this site is so great. Sure enough the old belts are one inch longer. (old Dayco # 17480, new correct #17470)

Last week I posted some PICs of my duece and someone noticed that the canvas cover was installed backwards.

Now how can a vehicle coming directly from GL have wrong alternator belts and the back canvas cover installed wrong. Any of you military maintence GI's have an answer?

I'm definatly hooked on this OD stuff.

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Glad to hear you got it fixed. The motorpool might have just thrown the truck together so it could go out the door. I wouldn't dwell on it. YOU got it fixed and that is what is important.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Imagine it's Friday morning, and you need to get the M35A2's turned in to DRMO by 5PM... Thats what the commander wants done, TODAY..... So thats the days mission... It's all you have to do. You find the generator belts bad/missing/whatever. You need to find some replacements so the truck can roll out of the motorpool... Keep in mind your the last person in your unit thats gonna lay eyes on that truck, as your getting brandy new FMTV's in exchange for them. You find some belts that "kinda fit, but arent the right ones" in a parts bin.... Do you want to go home on time, or are you going to tell the commander that you dont have the right belts so they truck cant get turned in, and be sent to the next motorpool which may be right next door, or 50-100 miles away (in the case of the Natioanl Guard or Reserves) on a quest for the right belts???

I know what Im gonna do....Im going home on time..... Bring on the belts that "kinda" fit... Because I dont care, as your unit will never see the truck again.... You just need to have the truck "good enough" to get out the front gate, then it's not your problem.... Is that the RIGHT answer??? Well depends on who you ask, and how close it is to 5PM......

As for the cover, thats pretty easy to get installed wrong, especially if you dont use the truck on a daily basis... One easy way to tell if the cover is on correctly... IF you have a paint job that was done to standard, the camo paint on the truck should "match" with the camo on the cover.. On the pic posted above, I bet it's still on backwards, and thats why it doesnt match up..

BEASTMASTER

heh heh ,when i got my truck it ran fine,but would'nt move.someone took out the clutch and pressure plate and put it all back together.duh. :driver:

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
no clutch?

BEASTMASTER said:
heh heh ,when i got my truck it ran fine,but would'nt move.someone took out the clutch and pressure plate and put it all back together.duh. :driver:
Well, It sure was alot of work to do THAT :shock:

Mackfire68

I love this site, thanks for the answers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It ALL makes sense now. I'd have to guess that they installed a bad alternator too. It was awfully clean.
Thanks again.

saddamsnightmare

March 29th, 2008.

Yes in the first picture above you can see the inside rear flap corners sticking out around the now front corner of the tarpaulin... that's why the -10 manual says you mark the tarp "Front" and "Rear" on the inside, but I'm sure the motorpool guys just wanted it out the door..... I could see this occurring more readily with a 686A tan tarpaulin, but the woodland paint does make the mismatch rather glaring. Remember most are condition "H7", not ecomonically repairable, so if it runs and its all there, you're doing really well to start with!! New Alternator??? "H7", you're getting off cheap, these beasts can be some very expensive rides when they want to be, otherwise Uncle Sam would've kept them or given them to OUR FRIENDS, Like MOROCCO (love that thought of smearing bacon fat on the steering wheels..oops!! Not PC!). In any case, you saved her from the scrapyard, so pat yourself on the back!!

Regards,

Kyle F. McGrogan

1971 KAiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Vietnam and Desert Storm Veteran Deuce.
""??"" M105A2 Johnson MFG Co. 1-1/2 ton cargo trailer, MERDC or NATO 4 color Woodland Scheme, OK NG
1963 Swiss Army Cargo Unimog, S404.114 Mercedes Benz NATO Green.