• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wrong stock number? Someone got a heater in Vietnam..

Baron3-6

Ran across this great picture of an M37 in Vietnam during Operation Junction City in 1967....funny thing is its got the heater mounted on it. I always had a feeling at least one got sent to Vietnam...so, here it is.:-o

Also, added is a recent photo of my '52 as painting makes progress.

There are a few more pictures of M37's in the album:

Operation Junction City 1967 - Vietnam Veterans of America

Attachments

WarrenD

I been saying that for the last few months, somewhere in Nam there was a M37 with a fender mounted heater!! Thanks for the confirmation.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since we are talking heaters; there's the fender mounted one like in the picture, and the cab one like Zout posted. Wasn't there one that mounted on the passenger fender? Does anyone have a pic? And what was it's purpose? I think Midwest Military has the kits but I'm not sure they are actually for heating the cab. Sorry for the thread hi-jack.:oops:

WarrenD

Being that the fuel lines are on the passenger side, could the arctic heater (gasoline fired) be the one mounted on the passenger side fender?

jmassenga

There are two drivers side fender-mounted cab heaters for the M37. The version that plumbs into the cooling system (like the pictures posted), and a gas-fired heater that sits inside a metal shroud and has the exhaust routed up the left side of the windshield frame. If I recall correctly, the coolant heater was supposed to be issued in climates with temps down to 0, the gas fired in temps below that. With the truck standing still, the gas fired unit on hi will cook you out of the cab at -40.

The passenger-side heaters are the powerplant heaters. Again, two models - a modified WC series heater kit that sits inside the fender, and a M37-specific unit that sits between the fender and running board and uses the keyhole knockout. THese heaters both heat the coolant (there is a modified floorboard to allow the coolant lines to come through the keyhole but stay below the floor) and have a loop that passes under the batteries to warm them, and the exhaust is ducted to a shroud around the oil pan to heat that. Also included were insulated hood blanket, side panel covers, and grille cover.

Another heater kit was available for heating the bed area when transporting troops. This unit was also gas-fired and mounted underneath the drivers seat. A 4" hole was cut through the cab and bed to duct the heat into the bed. Exhaust was through the floor and exited in front of the LR tire. THis kit also included a insulated cargo cover, insulated floor panels, and insulated back wall assembly with door to replace the tailgate.

majorhitt

I looked for my TM on the heaters. Could not locate it. As mentioned One heater mounts on the passenger side and uses the keyhole knockout. I believe this one is the unit that the passenger side running board is moved back about 3 to 4 in, for heater hose to pass by. Look at the running board where the bolt is at the front, you'll see another square bolt hole right next to the fender. This is to allow the relocation of the running board. Look a little more and you'll find the other three square holes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks