• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WSUCougarx's M561 Gama Goat Acquisition and Build Thread

wsucougarx

2nd Highway Road Test W/W.

Took the Goat out today to church. I wanted to do another highway road test on her to see if there was any difference with the winch installed. Boy, she might as well have an elephant in the carrier. I really noticed she did bog down a bit. She took a bit longer to get up to speed and the hills felt like I was back in my M923. She really lost speed up the grades. Surprisingly she didn't get lower than 40 MPH. She held steady at this speed but again took a bit longer to get up to speed. When on the flats I was getting 60 + MPH. She wanted to hover around 55 MPH now. I guess you can't have it all. Just glad I now have the capabilities of a winch should the time arise.
I did notice the front starboard hub was a bit warm after she was parked. Looks like the brakes are a little out of adjustment. I need to go through and redo the adjustments. Then she should be good to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrXFR7YwN_A

Attachments

Last edited:

wsucougarx

Something that has always been in the back of my mind is the air reservoir in the engine compartment. I know you're suppose to drain them from time to time. Well, I finally got under the Goat, removed the inspection panel and proceeded to turn the petcock. I would turn it one way and nothing. Turned it the other way and nothing. Hmmm was it plugged? So I decided to wake up the 353. I crawled under the Goat to see if anything was coming out and nothing. I returned the petcock back to the original position and felt air rushing out of the reservoir. All this time, the petcock was left open. Well that explains the bit of oil and grime around the petcock.
Now, I'm having an issue getting this Goat in 6x6. Another troubleshooting session coming up in my near future.

Another Ahab

I returned the petcock back to the original position and felt air rushing out of the reservoir. All this time, the petcock was left open. Well that explains the bit of oil and grime around the petcock.
Now, I'm having an issue getting this Goat in 6x6. Another troubleshooting session coming up in my near future.
It's nice to have a hobby, "ain't" it?! :naner::mrgreen:

ust24474vt

I see you have the windshield defroster on your dash, do you have the heater unit under the co-drivers seat also? Your Goat looks GREAT !!!!! Good job. Thank you for all of the information that you have shared during your build.

wsucougarx

I see you have the windshield defroster on your dash, do you have the heater unit under the co-drivers seat also? Your Goat looks GREAT !!!!! Good job. Thank you for all of the information that you have shared during your build.
Thank you. Originally my truck did not come with a heater. I installed the vent with the idea of putting in an M151 coolant type personal heater under the dash. That hasn't happened yet. I figured there was no hurry in putting in a heater just yet without doors installed. My wife hasn't ridden in this truck yet. Once she does, I'm sure the doors and heater will move to the top of the list:)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

BillIdaho

I have a question. I noticed your have a rear corner antenna mount (I think on both sides as I recall). I also noticed on the driver's side it looks like you have a sugar scoop (with an antenna base) attached to the outside of the corner mount, rather than on top of it. The antenna is designed to be bolted to the top of the those corner mounts. Are you planning on putting another antenna on top of the corner mount? (If so, the two antennas will be way too close to each other.)
I think I saw another sugar scoop (with antenna base) bolted to the outside of the passenger side rear corner mount. Same question. If you are going to have
an RT246 and the PRC77, you are going to need only two antennas-hence my confusion.
What am I missing here?

wsucougarx

I have a question. I noticed your have a rear corner antenna mount (I think on both sides as I recall). I also noticed on the driver's side it looks like you have a sugar scoop (with an antenna base) attached to the outside of the corner mount, rather than on top of it. The antenna is designed to be bolted to the top of the those corner mounts. Are you planning on putting another antenna on top of the corner mount? (If so, the two antennas will be way too close to each other.)
I think I saw another sugar scoop (with antenna base) bolted to the outside of the passenger side rear corner mount. Same question. If you are going to have
an RT246 and the PRC77, you are going to need only two antennas-hence my confusion.
What am I missing here?
Hi Bill, I did mount the sugar scoops to the rear corner mounts. I mounted the antennas in the scoops rather than the main mount due to tie down issues. Mounting the antenna on the outside affords the ability of using the tie down at the front of the carrier. I needed to do this setup so the antennas would clear my garage door.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

wsucougarx

My wife finally went for a ride in the Truck!!

After 13 months of owing this truck, my wife went on her first ride in the truck. Albeit, it was a short 3 mile trip to the grocery store. But a first ride indeed. From what i could tell, she loved it:) Here's a very short video before we hit the road. I didn't want to take away from the moment by having her film.
https://youtu.be/oVF5JDXtrwY

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks