• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WSUCougarx's M561 Gama Goat Acquisition and Build Thread

wsucougarx

Remember mike you still have my truck to do once I get all my items attached. Your detail work is drool worthy.
Sure thing. You still going with 3 color NATO camo? You have her under cover or is she out in the open? If out, we'll need to wait for good weather.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Another Ahab

After 13 months of owing this truck, my wife went on her first ride in the truck. Albeit, it was a short 3 mile trip to the grocery store. But a first ride indeed. From what i could tell, she loved it:) Here's a very short video before we hit the road. I didn't want to take away from the moment by having her film.
Family adventure is always a good thing. Does Mama have any interest in learning to drive it?!

wsucougarx

Go figure...

Was perusing a popular auction site last night. Saw he had the duck canvas military manual holders. Then I saw this "US Army Large Storage Bag" for $4.50.

Attachments

wsucougarx

Operation Urgent Fury

Now the Goat is somewhat done, it is time to start the search for GEAR. Gear as in field gear. I have started the arduous process of tracking down Field Packs, M1967 and M1972 type gear for this truck. I've made a couple visits to a couple army surplus stores outside of JBLM. I was able to find a nice ERDL RDF 1980 dated shirt, some 1983 and earlier field gear. I also found a number of medium and large 1976 dated combat field packs (ALICE) to hang on her sides. Also secured a number of pre-83 canteens and such. There are several field gear options that are post-1983 that a guy could use. But for me, it's got to have correct dates. I'll get some pics posted once I get everything squared away. One of my biggest challenges is finding the correct NBC caps for the canteens. Most of what I have found are the newer green ones rather than the black ones.

Attachments

Last edited:

Jericho

Hi Cougar, Like your goat , but, don't get your accessory manufactures date logic, The M 561 was used in the active inventory well into 1992, probably later in the guard and reserve , I clearly remember them in the first Gulf war 90/91 and although the Unit closeures and rapid drawdown after that conflict meant many weapons systems were canned quickly, I do remember seeing the odd goat well into my retirement in 1994 in Germany , As you likely know, constant change in equipment and what seemed to me to be an increased use of "civilian" gear , glasses , packs, slings , gloves, weapons accessories, and BOOTS every body wore any old boot they felt like started in GULF 1 and accelerated, the days of only TA 50 gear are gone, But keep up the good work,

Another Ahab

Hi Cougar, Like your goat , but, don't get your accessory manufactures date logic, The M 561 was used in the active inventory well into 1992, probably later in the guard and reserve , I clearly remember them in the first Gulf war 90/91 and although the Unit closeures and rapid drawdown after that conflict meant many weapons systems were canned quickly, I do remember seeing the odd goat well into my retirement in 1994 in Germany , As you likely know, constant change in equipment and what seemed to me to be an increased use of "civilian" gear , glasses , packs, slings , gloves, weapons accessories, and BOOTS every body wore any old boot they felt like started in GULF 1 and accelerated, the days of only TA 50 gear are gone, But keep up the good work,
I was big into wilderness canoeing and backpacking back around the time I enlisted, and I remember thinking to myself that all the military camping gear I would encounter would be state-of-the art stuff, and was real surprised when I learned the truth abut all that:

- The military gear was WAY out of date with what the marketplace had available (like WWII era heavy canvas where the civilian world was well into cordura nylon and the like).

- And having made a living as a carpenter, and entering the Seabees also figured that the tools we would be using would be the best available, and was wrong on THAT count, too. Our tools and equipment were all a good twenty years out of date with what the civilian market was using.

But I'm guessing from what you're saying and what I see in photos now that all that has come around and changed.

Last edited:

Jericho

It all started during the first Gulf war when the supply system was outstripped by demand, Units were given permission to contract locally for items needed. The Army had what I saw as the largest shift away from DOD gear. They turned up with a variety fo eyewear, Gloves , jackets , you name it It has grown since then, The Marines have really advance equipment standards along with the Army, The Air Force has little interest at the Officer level in Enlisted war fighting gear , hence the AF usually has a mix of Army and Marine gear/
t is all much improved since the late eighties

wsucougarx

Hi Jericho, my theme of this Gama Goat is Oct-Dec 1983 during Operation Urgent Fury while in theatre. Though the Goat was used post-Urgent Fury, my emphasis is a tribute to those who served. Therefore anything post-DEC83 is a no go. I'm trying to depict the military gear during this time frame all the way down to correct dates. I could use equipment dates post 83 but there's an element of self-satisfaction by taking the extra step. I drive most people nuts by my attention to detail over things like this...even myself;-).

frenchman

hello
a very very nice job on that gama goat i know i done one myself mine is the one you have the picture of the cab interior at the bigening of your thread with the 151a2 grab handle
good luck with your goat i love mine
frenchman

Jericho

Hello Frenchman, hadn't seen a post in a while from you. Navy, he has helped me with the odd part and advice on my goats at times, Good MAN, Frenchman

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks