• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

wsucougarx's M923 acquisition

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Always enjoy reading your posts, Mike. Congrats on the soon to be delivery. Childbirth has to be one of God's greatest miracles! Blessings and best wishes for Mom, Baby and Dad.
Doug

wsucougarx

Thanks Doug, presently I am sitting in the birthing room waiting for things to happen. They just started the Oxytocin drip to speed things along.
Luckily I brought my son's laptop to keep my SS fix...LOL. Waiting for soldier E to make her arrival:driver:

wsucougarx

FMTV/GOODYEAR 395 MV/T Mounting Part I

Today was day two of the FMTV wheel/Goodyear MV/T mounting. Yesterday I only got around to mounting three wheels up. Today I managed to get four mounted. The job was a bit tedious at times. I wanted to make sure everything was cleaned and cleaned again. I had just mowed the lawn the day before and had grass remnants all over. The last thing I wanted was to get a piece of grass lodged in between the o-ring and wheel.
I cleaned down the wheels, tires, wheel mounting bolts, and o-ring really good. I ended up reusing all my o-rings. There was absolutely nothing wrong with them. There were no burrs or cuts of anykind. They were, however, deformed into a triangle shape from being mounted previously. No problem, I had a solution for that;-). After giving the o-rings a good scrubbing and drying. I simply just put them in the sun for a good hour. They returned to a somewhat circular shape.
I also cleaned the threads really well with a wire brush and used a spark plug cleaner to clean the 20 nuts...err make that 140 nuts.
The beadlocks were easy to get them into the tires. There's a technique you have to use. Once you figure it out, it's good to go.
Projects Completed:
-Married FMTV Wheels with Goodyear MV/T's
Pics:
1-Goodyear MV/T's waiting patiently for their beadlocks and wheels. That's my work station by the impact wrench. Can't get any simpler than this. No lifting device/hoist of any kind. Just an upside FMTV rim as my work bench.
2-Getting things setup
3-Getting the beadlocks inserted
4-My daughter was on stanby to provide support
5-Ready to mate the wheel with the tire. The beadlock is centered (held in position by friction alone) and wheel is cleaned up and ready to go. (make sure you do not have the valvestem and beadlock mouting bolts lined up in the same place.)
6-Squirting everything down with tire lube.
7-Once you get a wheel on the tire lip, hold onto the tire with both hands, and use your knees to shove the wheel into place. You'll want to use some good force as the valve stem is going to be stubborn.
8-A FMTV wheel flipped upside down provides a great workstation to get your remaining mounting completed.
9-Side view of workstation. Once completed you just simply push the tire down at an angle and just use your legs to lift the tire. This was my solution to not having a lifting devise. Use gravity to your advantage;-)

Attachments

Last edited:

wsucougarx

FMTV/GOODYEAR 395 MV/T Mounting Part II

(cont.)
When you go to mount the rim nuts, be sure to tighten them in a star pattern. This will help the outer piece to mate to the o-ring evenly. If you tighten one side down too quickly it could bind the o-ring, thus causing an air leak. I stood on top of the tire and just used my 1" impact wrench and took her slow. At first, I tighten the first two tires by hand. In an effort to avoid Popeye forearms, I opted to use the impact wrench;-).
Once everything was mounted up, I aired each tire up to 70 PSI. From here I'll let them sit overnight to make sure I don't have any leaks. So far so good, the tires from yesterday haven't lost any PSI's (despite using the old o-rings). I ended up using the FMTV CTIS gear because the valvestem on the wheel ended up being too thick in circum. I was unable to get an air hose around the fitting air her up. In an effort to see how I did, I got impatient and just re-installed the CTIS stuff so I could get it aired up. I don't plan on keeping the plumbing on there but will provided a temporary fix until I get an alternative fitting on there.
I thought about putting some medium in the wheels to help balance things out but need to look further into it. Whatever I use will be a medium that can be poured into the valvestems (ie: Equal).
My poor '88 A2C (Gump truck) hasn't been driven in over a year. At least I used her to hold up the super singles;-).
Pics:
1-Make sure everything is lined up and inspect for any debris that may impede the o-ring to seat properly
2-Once everything is good to go put the o-ring in and lube the heck out of everything
3-Cleaned each nut with a spark plug cleaner
4-The completed and aired up tire
5-Project completed...whew!! For now anyways, need to check for leaks then it's time to get them mounted...

TO BE CONTINUED....

Attachments

Last edited:

Amer-team

So has your wife decided that you have been moping around the house so she sent you out to work on the truck?
Nice job on the tires and wheels.

wsucougarx

So has your wife decided that you have been moping around the house so she sent you out to work on the truck?
Nice job on the tires and wheels.
Oh Peter, this M923 project is my sanity project now. I took 6 weeks paid leave from work for our new baby. However, I am not one who can sit in the house all day. I've got to be doing something. After sitting idle for the better part of this week, this tire project is keeping my sanity...LOL. Not sure what other projects I can come up with for the remaining 5 weeks but I'm brainstorming;-)

Amer-team

Well if you haven't had the hardtop off any of your trucks, I can highly recommend that project. Took mine off a couple days ago and my guess is that it hasn't been off since rebuild about 25 years ago. This evidenced by the severity of the rusted bolts. It is insulated on the inside with what looks like GI sleeping mat. Was going to take it out and replace it and it is glued down. So found a way to clean it and make it look better. Then you have all the other surfaces that need attention, windshield to top, top to vertical back, back to body, and of course all the small inside tracks. That ought to hold you for a couple of days. This all includes clean, prime, and paint.

have fun and enjoy the time with the newborn. I didn't forget your suggestion awhile back to try out claimjumpers. Sometime if you are up for it, I am game. P

wsucougarx

I thought about pulling the hardtop to reseal it. However I discovered she has a brand new 2006 dated hardtop. Thanks for the heads up Peter. I do need to rip into the hubs...I think. Those hubs look heavy. Might be time to invest in a cherry picker:).

Amer-team

Mike, I have a small roll around engine puller that would probably work great for your project. You are welcome to use it. I think it is rated for 2000. P

wsucougarx

Mike, I have a small roll around engine puller that would probably work great for your project. You are welcome to use it. I think it is rated for 2000. P
Thanks for the offer Peter. I wish I had room in my garage...LOL. I do need to find a foldable one or something. In the meantime, I'll need to rig up something to get one of those 395's in the back of the truck. Thinking about constructing an A-frame with 4x4 posts and the chain fall for the spare.
Tomorrow I'm planning on doing a driveway alignment using the procedures out of TM 9-2320-356-BD Battlefield Damage Assessment and Repair TM. Plus, I'm going to try and get the 395's put on as well;-)

Last edited:

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do need to rip into the hubs...I think. Those hubs look heavy. Might be time to invest in a cherry picker:).
I made a little holder for a 3 ton floor jack that the hub will fit on to take it off and put them on. They are very heavy.

Here is a pic of it working on a deuce.

Attachments

Last edited:

Amer-team

If you want to build an A frame, go ahead. But if you have a long plank or two, make a ramp, afix a come along to the front of the bed, and winch that sucker up into the back. Or take one of your winch equiped trucks, put a snatch block in the other truck, and hit the winch, it will slide up and in and you won't even break a sweat.

indy4x4fab

Banned
I went through and cleaned up a few projects that were completed. I lowered the solargizer mount down and made a swivel type system. This will allow me to raise the mount and point it towards the sun. I used stainless steel hardware with nylock nuts to keep the nuts from back out from use. I can access the mount via rear window on the hardtop.
I also got around to painting the towbar mounting bracket assy (finally had a break in the downpours). The tow bar is brand new but it's been sitting in the elements for sometime so she's a bit faded. Almost looks like she needs a new coat of paint to match her surroundings.

Pics:
1- Solargizer swivel mount
2,3- Towbar mounting bracket assy completed
How did you get your tow bar cradle mount from?

wsucougarx

Field Front End Alignment

As mentioned previously, the steer tires were pretty chewed up after I got her home from the initial recovery trip. There were pieces of rubber hanging off the tires and the driver side tire was really worn down. My conclusion was it was really out of alignment. Nothing could be further from the truth. Rather than installing my new 395's on an out of alignment truck, it was imperative I tackle this task before I ruin more tires.
I was looking through the M939 TM's. All the toe-in procedures involved a measuring device that I didn't have. Then I remember I had a copy of the TM Battlefield Damage. I gave very simple but practical approach to doing a field toe in procedure. It took very minimal tools and took about 30 minutes. You will need a Soldier B for this task to hold the tape measure. You want to be somewhat accurate when taking your measurements. You measurements should be within 1/4" accuracy if possible.
First task is to make sure the tread on the tire are close to equal and make sure you air them up to the same air pressure. In this case, I aired up the Goodyear G177's upto 90 PSI. Next you want as level of surface as you can for taking measurements. I chose my driveway. The remaining procedures are shown in the Pics.
I found my alignment was really out of alignment. In fact it was toe'd out by 1 5/8"aua!!!!!! Rather than toe'd in 1/4"aua!!!!!!! No wonder I had issues with the tires.
Projects Completed:
-Aligned the front end and got the correct toe-in to 1/4"

Pics:
1- Tools needed for field alignment procedures. (missing a can of air)
2- Procedure outlined in the TM
3-Measure from ground to the center of the rim (steer tires only;-) ).
4-Use the measurement in 3 for marking the tire on the bow and stern. Also mark the center of the tread. This is your measuring point
5-Pic of the stern stern tire
6-Initial measurement before correction. Front measurement=76 5/8" Rear measurement 75"...Toe out issue!!!!!!
7-Loosen the lock clamp bolt on the steering rod
8-Cleaned out the channel with can air to maximize penetration of PB Blaster
9-PB Blaster the heck out of the threads. Repeat as necessary
10- Rotating the rod from stern to bow to go from Toe Out to Toe In

Attachments

Last edited:

wsucougarx

Alignment Cont

Alignment Cont

This procedure was pretty straightforward and very easy to do. It may sound like a big job but I think washing the truck is tougher;-). The most challenging part was freeing the threads on the tie rod ends to the shaft. It took a few whacks of the hammer and copious amounts of PB Blaster and muscle power. Eventually it will break free and you can turn the shaft. I ended up having to make four full revolutions of the shaft! Here's the measurements I ended up with:

Revolutions........Front measurement........Rear measurement
.......Two......................76 1/8"...........................75 3/8"..........
.......Four......................75 5/8"..........................75 7/8............Bingo!!

Pics:
1- My son helping dad out with measurements
2- Wrenching the shaft with the pipe wrench
3- Taking more measurements
4- You guessed it, more measurements
5- Task completed. A little rest before mounting my 395's.

Attachments

Last edited:

wsucougarx

Super Single Mounting Part I

The day wasn't over yet! I still about 6 hours left of light...hmmmmm....why not! Let's get those super singles mounted;-)
The procedure was pretty straight forward. Just used a series of crowbars to lift the tire onto the hub. The tire was actually pretty easy to manage. More so than a deuce tire. The nice wide flat tread made rolling this tire easy. My son helped me jack up one tire then he was off with his friends...he deserved to play;-).
Projects Completed:
-Mounted my FMTV wheel/Goodyear MV/T's onto the truck
-Mounted my Trucklite LED Headlights...finally!!
Pics:
1,2- She's waiting for her new shoes
3- My son proving he's as strong as Daddy;-)
4,5,6- First tire mounted really got me motivated despite being sleep deprived. Many late nights with my baby daughter;-)
7-Different between the Goodyear G177's and MV/T's. Wow, talk about pizza cutters.
8-The FMTV wheels provide a nice stance with the tire flush with the fender
9-Pizza cutter
10-Pizza cutter no more;-)

Attachments

Last edited:

wsucougarx

Super Single Mouting Part II

More pics. Your graphics card and RAM is being exercised;-)
It's amazing how tires can really change the appearance of a truck or any vehicle for that matter. I am really pleased how these tires look. I'll find out how they drive in a couple weeks when I make my annual pilgrimage to Napavine.

Now that the tires are mounted, I am going to check the toe in once again to make sure nothing got loosened up.

Pics:
1,2- Showing the difference between 395 MV/T and G177 11.00's
3-Task completed
4-I love the look of the FMTV rims. Those 20 nuts were a pain to take off and mount but look good;-)
5-Nice wider stance
6-9-Task completed. Man this truck sure takes on a whole different look. I love it!!!
6- LED test. Yep, they work.

Attachments

Last edited:

hwcurtice

Alignment Cont

This procedure was pretty straightforward and very easy to do. It may sound like a big job but I think washing the truck is tougher;-). The most challenging part was freeing the threads on the tie rod ends to the shaft. It took a few whacks of the hammer and copious amounts of PB Blaster and muscle power. Eventually it will break free and you can turn the shaft. I ended up having to make four full revolutions of the shaft! Here's the measurements I ended up with:

Revolutions........Front measurement........Rear measurement
.......Two......................76 1/8"...........................75 3/8"..........
.......Four......................75 5/8"..........................75 7/8............Bingo!!

Pics:
1- My son helping dad out with measurements
2- Wrenching the shaft with the pipe wrench
3- Taking more measurements
4- You guessed it, more measurements
5- Task completed. A little rest before mounting my 395's.

Correct me if I'm wrong, didn't you say within 1/8th of an inch? If I'm reading this right, that looks to be twice that @ 1/4 or 2/8th of an inch.

If I'm wrong, just say so. Don't throw any :maddawg308: at me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks