• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WTB Igntion Coil for M123/M125

houdel

My M125 (Le ROI 844 gas V-8) idles real smooth but has a definite intermediate miss/loss of power once it gets much above idle speed. The previous owner told me ti had a 12 volt coil in it. I am highly suspect the 12V coil doesn't have the capacity to handle that big V-8. The coil is located inside the distributor. Anyone know where I can get a correct coil, condenser and set of points for am M123/M125. One of may manuals lists a Delco Part number for the coil and distributor assembly, but not for the coil itself.

Capt.Marion

Could probably "derive" the coil from those part #s. If there's a NAPA with a guy who remembers carbureted and mechanical breaker-point ignited cars and trucks, probably try there. They may be able to figure the part #s out.

Blood_of_Tyrants

I doubt that the coil is inside the distributor. The condenser might be, but not the coil. The coil is exactly that, a coil of wire, generally several hundred feet long wound in a large coil about the size of a energy drink can. It

JasonS

Any good coil will have sufficient energy to light off a slow, low compression engine. You also have the advantage of a 24V system which results in a faster coil saturation time. The M35, M52, and M135 Delco ignition systems all used 6V coils with a dropping (ballast) resistor to limit the current. I say this based on the fact that they look exactly like standard ignition coils and have the typical 1.5 ohms primary resistance of a 6V coil. They also had the coil located inside the distributor. I have converted M52 and M35 Delco ignition systems to electronic using Pertronix Ignitors and their 3.0 ohm coil. The results have been very good.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: WTB Igntion Coil for M123/M125

Blood_of_Tyrants said:
I doubt that the coil is inside the distributor. The condenser might be, but not the coil. The coil is exactly that, a coil of wire, generally several hundred feet long wound in a large coil about the size of a energy drink can. It
BOT, it's in the distributor all right and a pain to get out when rusty. The bottom protrudes out of the bottom of the dist and is subject to rust. The 28V waterproof distributors are very unique, a cool design. I don't have a pic of one to show you, sorry.

acetomatoco

RE: Re: RE: WTB Igntion Coil for M123/M125

It is the standard Delco Remy sealed distributor as used on ever so many M series trucks and the coil is the same as used on the Reo/Studebaker gasser and the M135/M211 etc. Points, condenser, resistor and capacitor are all the same, too... Any of many dealers will have all that stuff. The distributor cap...is an 8 holer and the cam on the drive is 8 lobed, and the nice manuals of the TM 9-2320-206 series can be your best friend. My M123s and M125s were a lot of fun in the old days... I always carried a 6 foot step ladder for any maintenance at all.....