• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WTK If even Possible to Repair Chain

guns1977

I have one of the Big Military chains and have almost pulled a link into. I have been searching for a 3/4"x3" lap link or. Is there such a thing? Or is a complete replacement chain in order?
Thanks

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have one of the Big Military chains and have almost pulled a link into. I have been searching for a 3/4"x3" lap link or. Is there such a thing? Or is a complete replacement chain in order?
Thanks
Supposedly chains used at or near the maximum rated pull are supposed to be replaced. I'm sure there are specifics somewhere in a TM, but I couldn't easily find those details when I looked.

OSHA and the military have deep pockets funded with other peoples money. Replacing chains can definitely get expensive... If you have bad links I don't think you have any choice but replace them though.

guns1977

Supposedly chains used at or near the maximum rated pull are supposed to be replaced. I'm sure there are specifics somewhere in a TM, but I couldn't easily find those details when I looked.

OSHA and the military have deep pockets funded with other peoples money. Replacing chains can definitely get expensive... If you have bad links I don't think you have any choice but replace them though.
Yes I would like to replace the bad link only but haven't had any luck finding the same size repair link.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not a fan of lap links, but several other options… buy two new grab hooks and have two shorter chains that can be used together or separately. Buy a double/twin clevis to join them, or preferably a hammerlock type connecting link. I think Simp had a few for sale a while back but don’t recall the size?

guns1977

Not a fan of lap links, but several other options… buy two new grab hooks and have two shorter chains that can be used together or separately. Buy a double/twin clevis to join them, or preferably a hammerlock type connecting link. I think Simp had a few for sale a while back but don’t recall the size?
I've searched the classified ads and didn't see anything. I thought about cutting a good link and connecting it together and welding it back but am not sure about the welding heat making that link weak, I wish I could find a hammerlock type but haven't found anything large enough

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've searched the classified ads and didn't see anything. I thought about cutting a good link and connecting it together and welding it back but am not sure about the welding heat making that link weak, I wish I could find a hammerlock type but haven't found anything large enough