• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WTS - Budd Wheel combo sockets, Cheaper Yet!

Status
Not open for further replies.

houdel

Just a heads up, I have these are listed in the classified ads:

I ran across these Budd Wheel combo sockets at a local store. They are a one piece socket with a 1-1/2 hex for the lug nut, and a recessed 13/16" square for the inner dual stud. They really work neat - remove the outer wheel lug nuts and wheel and the 13/16" recess is a perfect fit for the inner stud.

They are super tough - I was taking the wheels off my Deuce, one of the nuts wouldn't even budge. I put an extension on my breaker bar and stood on it. I weigh about 160 lbs, so were are talking about 500 ft-lbs or more of torque, and the lug nut wouldn't move. Then I tried jumping on the breaker bar, all I did was end up breaking the bar (see last photo). In spite of all this abuse, and it didn't even mar the black coating on the inside of the hex part of the socket. I finally had to take my Deuce to a truck shop, it took a 1" impact wrench to get the lug nut off!

Price for Steel Soldiers members/visitors is $19.00 delivered, a lot cheaper than the $53.19 NAPA socket. For more info see:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=PN_zClassifieds&file=detail&cat=3&de=553

(edited to reflect current Priority Mail postage rates, my price hasn't changed, only the postage)

Attachments

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a good price. Already have the napa one. I used a 10 foot breaker bar, and stood on that. Snapped a 3/4 extension. At least the nut came off.

Dennis

Last edited:

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=2561

If you are gonna buy cheap chinese stuff, get it at the correct 'cheap chinese' store - aka Harbor Freight - full 3/4" set for $25 (plus s&h). And the reason for the 3/4 " set is because I have the Robo Impact 24v in 3/4".

And I GOTTA say something about us 'impact crazy' people. The US military issued a 'Robo Impact' 24v impact wrench for at least M1A1 tanks. I'd be surprised if that device was NOT used the last time your lug nuts were put on.

I love mine. Spins them babies right on AND off...

jim

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
guys, I'm NOT kicking Harbor Freight. I use them all the time for what I consider 'one time tool use' type of things. IF I intend to use a tool daily, it will probably end up being Craftsman or Snapon. Though there are a lot of other companies out there now.

I'm just saying if you ARE gonna buy 'cheap bangladesh/chinese' stuff like I do, just go to the right store. WHICH IS HARBOR FREIGHT. That's all.

jim

houdel

Jim - Nice set of sockets for the price from Harbor Freight. I see it does have the 1-1/2" socket but you'd still need the 13/16" square for the inner dual stud. Agree with your comments on the Robo Impact, whomever put that lug nut on used something big and whaled on it for a long time. BTW, what are the Robo impacts rated at and what do they go for? Not that I'd buy one, I have a decent 1/2" air impact which while marginal for Deuce lug nuts will probably do the job. I already have a milsurp air hose & tire chuck/pressure guage that fits on the glad hand. I put a QD conector on the end of the hose and the guage so I'll have to make do with my 1/2" impact, just need to get a 1/2" - 3/4" adapter. I just finished drooling over the Northern Tool automotive catalog, they have some ultralight 4-1/2 lb Titanium 1/2" impact wrenches, 800 ft-lb tighten, 1000 ft-lb remove, in the $180 price range!

I also agree with the other comments that MOST of the Harbor Freight tools are in the "use it once and throw it away" category - ask me about the Harbor Freight cup brush I bought for my 4" angle grinder! All my socket sets are S K Wayne, for screwdrivers and combo wrenches you CANNOT beat Craftsman - I wrenched for a living for many years and wore out a lot of name brand tools, only SK Wayne and Craftsman held up! I wore the chrome completely off the head of a Wayne 3/8" rachet and it still works!

houdel

UPDATE - I've had so many responses on the Budd Wheel combo socket that I went back to the place where I bought them and talked the guy into a quantity discount! The new Steel Soldiers price will be $19.00 delivered USPS Priority Mail. Anyone who has already sent me payment will get a $2.00 refund with thier socket, I'm changing the price in my classified to $19.00 for new purchasers.

(edited to reflect current Priority Mail postage rates, my price hasn't changed, only the postage)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd like to know how to pay! I sent a PM but have yet to recieve a response. Lee, you got my back here or am I being blackballed?

houdel

Sorry Ken. I KNOW I got a message from you yesterday, and I KNOW I sent you a reply. I just checked my emails and for some reason my reply was addressed to me, not to you! I just sent you another email - hope you get this one, this time it is addressed to YOU! -- Lee

houdel

Sockets are still available, I've bought so many that the store owner gave me a quantity discount so you can now get them for $19.00 delivered, not the $19.05 I originally quoted.

Does anyone know what other vehicles use the 1-1/2" hex - 13/16" square nuts & studs? 5 ton trucks maybe?

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
houdel said:
Jim - Nice set of sockets for thhe price from Harbor Freight. I see it does have the 1-1/2" socket but you'd still need the 13/16" square for the inner dual stud. Agree with your comments on the Robo Impact, whomever put that lug nut on used something big and whaled on it for a long time. BTW, what are the Robo impacts rated at and what do they go for? Not that I'd buy one, I have a decent 1/2" air impact which while marginal for Deuce lug nuts will probably do the job. I already have a milsurp air hose & tire chuck/pressure guage that fits on the glad hand. I put a QD conector on the end of the hose and the guage so I'll have to make do with my 1/2" impact, just need to get a 1/2" - 3/4" adapter. I just finished drooling over the Northern Tool automotive catalog, they have some ultralight 4-1/2 lb Titanium 1/2" impact wrenches, 800 ft-lb tighten, 1000 ft-lb remove, in the $180 price range!
houdel, I don't need the 'inner' dual stud. I'm running singles that use the 1.5 inch lug nuts.

I can't remember what the Robo impact is rated at. But they use it to take the 'wheels' off of an M1A1 tank, so ya gotta figure it's stout. I paid $200 for mine. And I got an extra set of brushes with it.

I ALSO have a half inch air impact. In fact, that's what I used to pull all the lug nuts off when I did the Super Single converstion. The 1/2" impact worked great (with a 1/2" to 3/4" converter). I've got a 1/4" NPT inline to my gladhand. So I hook up my 20 ton air/hydraulic bottle jack to that. I have an airhose with a glad hand adapter on it, so I use that to add air. And then I just plug the Roboimpact into the Nato slave and I can change a tire very quickly. It actually takes me longer to set up and tear down all my tools and stow the flat than it does to actually change the tire.

I've read accounts of guys that do it all 'the old fashioned' way. Cheater/breaker bars, regular jack (bottle or screw) and it takes them about half an hour. IF the flat is on the outside. If it's an inside dual, you can just about double that.

That's just WAY TOO MUCH WORK for this old guy.

jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks