• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WY/CO Chapter

Another Ahab

Things That Make You Go Hmmmmm

I have not gotten a truck, again, wife says get rid of something first, and I'm not sure what the park will say....

I am up for a meet, but with my schedule middle of the week works best for me. I may also be interested in heading out to meet you and kick some tires.
The next time she says that, you might consider:

- Rubbing your chin, and just silently look her over, top-to-bottom, real slow and deliberate like...

mr T.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, but I know exactly what she is talking about... I have to many hobbies as it is, and some can be quite expensive, let alone the fact that we have 6 vehicles as it is to park in a 1 car garage and a driveway... Sometimes it sucks living where I do as I can't just put up a shed or carport.

Another Ahab

Yeah, but I know exactly what she is talking about... I have to many hobbies as it is, and some can be quite expensive, let alone the fact that we have 6 vehicles as it is to park in a 1 car garage and a driveway... Sometimes it sucks living where I do as I can't just put up a shed or carport.

stacked.jpg

wcuhillbilly

Did everyone lose interest on a Wyoming meet?

Doubt I could afford to drive the 816 half way across Wyo and back for a weekend,,,, would have to start on wed, and leave on sat just to make it..... at least untill the turbo is put on... 5mpg and earplugs....:p

BigBird... Im with you about living and working with and alphabet agency...NPS... only freedom I have is im not required occupancy thus the place I lease about 3 miles from the park allows alittle more freedom with "projects" 2) willys wagons, 1) Kaiser M816 1) 65 GMC, Dozer/backhoe............etc.

KaiserM109

... At the moment this is my truck project. I want to use it for actual work. Besides all of that I look forward to chatting with you guys/gals for future en devours.
Until about 4 years ago I had a '47 Ford like that with a Rio Grand Express body on it. Interesting old truck! I think it's still rolling around Delta, CO.

I'm in Aurora and we should get together some day for lunch. Besides a '68/'70 Jeepster, a '74 J20 Jeep pickup and a '69 Bronco, my current project is fixing up an '84 M923A1 which I plan to bob and put the box off of my M109 on. You can always join me under the hood of whatever I'm wrenchin' on.

wcuhillbilly

Wcuhillbilly, I am actually very thankful about living in the park, here the rent outside is not livable on gov pay.
totally understand with the whole Jackson Hole area.... would like to see it someday but cant stand tourons much outside of what I deal with on a daily basis... we see ^450,000 per year, and Im only 1300 acres with 100 parking places..... its literally herding cats on crack especially around Sturgis Rally time.

Another Ahab

totally understand with the whole Jackson Hole area.... would like to see it someday but cant stand tourons much outside of what I deal with on a daily basis... we see ^450,000 per year, and Im only 1300 acres with 100 parking places..... its literally herding cats on crack especially around Sturgis Rally time.
Wcuhillbilly, everything is relative I know and out your way 1,300 acres might be a small piece of land, but out East here I can tell you that is a real spread. Wow, you got yourself a nice hunk of real estate I'd have to say. Do you all work that land, or ranch it or something?

Another Ahab

Wcuhillbilly, everything is relative I know and out your way 1,300 acres might be a small piece of land, but out East here I can tell you that is a real spread. Wow, you got yourself a nice hunk of real estate I'd have to say. Do you all work that land, or ranch it or something?
I didn't understand what's he meant.
Maybe I picked up wrong on the message:

- Is that what you're saying wcuhillbilly?

Is your place a full 1,300 acres?

wcuhillbilly

Ahab,
What I was refering to is the park I work for, Devils Tower National Monument, my day job is a Ranger. Thus the park is 1300 acres with 100 parking places with an annual visitation rate of ^450,000 tourist, thus everyone leaves their brain at home when they go on vacation. SO,,, those of us who deal with vacationers, holidayers, tourists,, sometimes end up calling them Tourons, (spin off of Moron) When they get together in mass numbers between May and early September the kaos ends up being a "Goat Rope" or "Herding Cats" mayhem situation.

My residence is 2.5 miles from the Park and is 112 acres of canyon cliffs and ravines, My wife operates a Bed and Breakfast (Quiet Canyon at Devils Tower BnB) from the upstairs of our house. I cant afford this spread, thus an old bachelor rancher leases the place to us with conditions of repair and upkeep. So the BnB is helping to remodel and take the place of her annual income, while I continue to work for wages with the National park Serv. while building an excavation/recovery towing business on the side in hopes of leaving the Fed Gov due mostly to the bueracracy.
As for working the land, yes, We are in the process of logging some of the timber as the pine beetle is hitting this area. The logs will be milled for beams used in a porch addition, and lap siding for the ailing stucco on the house. Aside from that once the infrastructure of the fences and barn are restored to usable condition we will run a couple cattle on the usable bottom land in order to keep the property taxes down by utilizing the Aggriculture programs. Wife runs a big garden and we can alot of our home grown food for winter. 3 deer a year keeps us in meat for a year. This year I got an elk tag so we will give that a try. Elk is delicious........

Last edited:

Another Ahab

My residence is 2.5 miles from the Park and is 112 acres of canyon cliffs and ravines, My wife operates a Bed and Breakfast (Quiet Canyon at Devils Tower BnB) from the upstairs of our house. I cant afford this spread, thus an old bachelor rancher leases the place to us with conditions of repair and upkeep. So the BnB is helping to remodel and take the place of her annual income, while I continue to work for wages with the National park Serv. while building an excavation/recovery towing business on the side in hopes of leaving the Fed Gov due mostly to the bueracracy.
I'd say that your living arrangement is darn near perfect. I have a cousin used to do stonework in Middleburg VA and had a sweet deal for a while living rent-free in the gatehouse of a very grand horse country estate of an absent landlord. Like your set-up essentially. I always thought that was ideal.

The owner had something like 6 different properties around the world, and only wanted somebody he could trust at each one to keep an eye on things. I'd say that your set-up sounds great. [thumbzup]

Davis Welding

I don't know if it is ok to ask for parts here but I really don't want to ship a frame section! I need two frame sections about 3' +/- for an M35. The remnants of a bob job would work great! Thanks!!!

BrewWY

Hey all. Just thought I would drop by and let you know I am in the area. I am in Cheyenne and I grew up in Riverton. I am looking at getting a M1102 trailer and modifying it for personal use. See you all around.

Cheers,

Brew

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks