• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WY/CO Chapter

SgtMajHarper

Purchased M1123 in September 2019, received in December 2019. Went into Avon, CO DMV (Eagle County) for temp plates so I can get a VIN inspection and was turned away. They said there was no way to get CO plates on a surplus military vehicle for on-road purposes.

Note: I called DMV back in September during my research and they said no problem. All depends on who you talk to and what mood they are in!
There are mixed results from all over the state with some guys getting plates with no problem and other guys being told no way; some have been told that their current registration is going to be cancelled and their current "road worthy" titles confiscated and have off road use only titles re-issued. We're trying to get some traction on "something' to take to the legislature this year and start getting hold of law makers to fix this blatant abuse of DOR's misinterpretation of the current law.

Another Ahab

There are mixed results from all over the state with some guys getting plates with no problem and other guys being told no way; some have been told that their current registration is going to be cancelled and their current "road worthy" titles confiscated and have off road use only titles re-issued. We're trying to get some traction on "something' to take to the legislature this year and start getting hold of law makers to fix this blatant abuse of DOR's misinterpretation of the current law.
There's only like 35 people total who live in the whole state of Wyoming, right?

Can't you all just get together over a beer and hammer all this out?!

TJinSD

Purchased M1123 in September 2019, received in December 2019. Went into Avon, CO DMV (Eagle County) for temp plates so I can get a VIN inspection and was turned away. They said there was no way to get CO plates on a surplus military vehicle for on-road purposes.

Note: I called DMV back in September during my research and they said no problem. All depends on who you talk to and what mood they are in!
On the bright side, the police will be saving a lot of vehicle registration money by not being able to register their previous military vehicles for on-road use. Right??

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

JW7tonWY

This thread stated out with people wanting a meet and greet possibility, I have an option coming up in about two weeks. Near Casper there is a machine gun and cannon shoot and we have an informal get together of those in the area with various trucks and other vehicles - ex military from around the world, there is camping (dry) and a bit of room to give rides and stuff as it is way out of town. Plus you can go shoot machine guns. I got to cross off my bucket list shooting a 50 off a half track would have never thought that possible before.

Sorry I didn't join up with this board sooner to put this out there. I know the guys that put on the shoot and they all want to see all the steel soldiers that can be found.

Attachments

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This thread stated out with people wanting a meet and greet possibility, I have an option coming up in about two weeks. Near Casper there is a machine gun and cannon shoot and we have an informal get together of those in the area with various trucks and other vehicles - ex military from around the world, there is camping (dry) and a bit of room to give rides and stuff as it is way out of town. Plus you can go shoot machine guns. I got to cross off my bucket list shooting a 50 off a half track would have never thought that possible before.

Sorry I didn't join up with this board sooner to put this out there. I know the guys that put on the shoot and they all want to see all the steel soldiers that can be found.
I’d love to go to this event but driving a deuce (M35A2) Gun Truck from Cheyenne to Casper is a bit more that I can handle. Give me a couple weeks to get there and a week to recover, I might make it. That is if I can get a kitchen pass for that length of time. I do not see it happening in my lifetime ☹. Regardless, having my gun truck at a machine gun shoot and possibly shooting from it, I’d probably embarrass myself...

Attachments

JW7tonWY

I’d love to go to this event but driving a deuce (M35A2) Gun Truck from Cheyenne to Casper is a bit more that I can handle. Give me a couple weeks to get there and a week to recover, I might make it. That is if I can get a kitchen pass for that length of time. I do not see it happening in my lifetime ☹. Regardless, having my gun truck at a machine gun shoot and possibly shooting from it, I’d probably embarrass myself...
I could probably get you a free slot to shoot from and you can charge others to shoot from your truck....and at 35MPH from Cheyenne via Laramie and medicine bow, is only 170 miles only take about 5-7 hours with pit stops, I can lead you in my M715 and I would have to drive to Cheyenne first.

It would be an adventure.;)

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I could probably get you a free slot to shoot from and you can charge others to shoot from your truck....and at 35MPH from Cheyenne via Laramie and medicine bow, is only 170 miles only take about 5-7 hours with pit stops, I can lead you in my M715 and I would have to drive to Cheyenne first.

It would be an adventure.;)
It sounds like a great time! Unfortunately, I am not physically able to drive that far. I was a bit too wild in my younger days. Bad knees, back, neck, feet, and more. I appreciate the offer! If they have a shoot in the Cheyenne area, I’ll jump at the chance. Okay, jump won’t happen. But a shoot? Awesome!

Just checking to see if we have anymore folks in the Wyoming/Colorado area. If so, has there ever been a meet and greet set up?

I'm in Laramie myself and have seen a few deuces rolling around, so I was curious if we had any other members in the area.

Hello from Ranchester :)

Not sure if this thread is still relevant but I'm excited to see some Wyominites around here!

I bet it gets pretty windy down there. Not too bad around where we are. I am waiting to get my title from govplanet so I can get on the road already and get up on the Big Horn mountains for some beautiful scenery :)

ceetwarrior

COLORAOO WTF???? I sent emails to our state reps. Use this link below.

Action Center (votervoice.net)

I can (sort of) understand not wanting new MV's on the road but not letting my antique collector truck on the road is total BS. Now my Deuce is in Colorado is worthless off of my property lines. I'm damn sure not going to buy a huge gooseneck to tote it around when I should be allowed to drive it. It has license plates and a real title. It should be grandfathered in AT THE VERY LEAST.

Nasher

COLORAOO WTF???? I sent emails to our state reps. Use this link below.

Action Center (votervoice.net)

I can (sort of) understand not wanting new MV's on the road but not letting my antique collector truck on the road is total BS. Now my Deuce is in Colorado is worthless off of my property lines. I'm damn sure not going to buy a huge gooseneck to tote it around when I should be allowed to drive it. It has license plates and a real title. It should be grandfathered in AT THE VERY LEAST.
Can you explain how you can understand why a m35 is ok and not others being allowed on the roads. From my knowledge this action by the lawmakers of Colorado was based off of feelings of what should be done with no facts to back up the change.
Thanks

ceetwarrior

Can you explain how you can understand why a m35 is ok and not others being allowed on the roads. From my knowledge this action by the lawmakers of Colorado was based off of feelings of what should be done with no facts to back up the change.
Thanks

Calling me out huh? I said (sort of understand). Did you read that part? Which translates to: I know that some people are scared to see big scary looking MV's on the road vs some old m35 which probably is the reason these idiot liberals in power took away our rights and grouped them all in one. Clear now?

ceetwarrior

Some civilian pulls up in a hemtt or mrap or some other halo alien freak show looking thing next to a rainbow in a Subaru in downtown Denver they would be scared. That's the only "logical" reason I can think of why they would F us like this.

Edit: Sorry I'm just really upset about this. I've owned this truck for 2 years fixing it up to get it road worthy and then find this out.

Last edited:

Nasher

I didn’t want you to take it as calling you out, it was for you to clarify your reasoning. With the ruling all MV’s Doesn’t matter what it was or what it is is not allowed to be registered and plated for the roads in Colorado you can still have a title but it will be an off-road use only title. Even the Ford Taurus that were used and had an MV documentation cannot be registered and driven on the road in Colorado. So when we go to complain to the people in legislation you need to bring this up. I don’t know how familiar you are with all the make some models of military vehicles so I’ll just say the Laymans term of the K5 blazer three-quarter and 1 ton pick up trucks which aren’t helmets or a big scary military vehicle.

Near Grand Junction there was a company bringing in Humvees from Utah that had off-road titles only and getting Colorado titles with no restrictions. There’s a gentleman name Ray that runs all of the Colorado emission standards he’s the one that brought it up that these vehicles were being given on road titles with no emission systems whatsoever. This is what started the ball rolling where he wanted all vehicles with military titles to meet the requirements for that model year emission. Well as you know how politicians can be they decided and felt that they should just take all the vehicles off the road then they wouldn’t have to worry about correctly writing what Ray wanted.

i registered mine out of South Dakota. Since I don’t use it for a daily driver it does not get used more than the limit per Colorado’s rules per month. Also it is cheaper per year than colorado.

again I didn’t intend to come across as being a dick. We all on the same side with all the stupid laws like the new one for not serving sugary drinks to kids the just passed. This is focused on soda. The dumb asses don’t realize grape juice, fruit punch and other “good for you” drinks yes even milk has high sugars.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I read and appreciate the above comments. To have invested time, money and energy on a MV then being told you can’t drive it is a gut punch. I drive my trucks in parades and base open houses. Up here in Wyoming, so far, no one has bought into this issue, yet. I hope not. Not being able to lead the Christmas Parade because somebody is afraid of the big bad truck would be worse than a gut punch. Not driving my Gun Truck as a thank you and welcome home… couldn’t think of anything worse.
I sincerely hope the yahoos in your state legislature pull their heads out of their fourth point of contact.
A side question, how would I be welcomed in Colorado in one of my legally titled, registered and insured MV’s? Will I get pulled over and told I can’t drive in Colorado?
This issue has ramifications that cross borders. It’s not just a CO problem, it’s a nationwide problem.

Nasher

I read and appreciate the above comments. To have invested time, money and energy on a MV then being told you can’t drive it is a gut punch. I drive my trucks in parades and base open houses. Up here in Wyoming, so far, no one has bought into this issue, yet. I hope not. Not being able to lead the Christmas Parade because somebody is afraid of the big bad truck would be worse than a gut punch. Not driving my Gun Truck as a thank you and welcome home… couldn’t think of anything worse.
I sincerely hope the yahoos in your state legislature pull their heads out of their fourth point of contact.
A side question, how would I be welcomed in Colorado in one of my legally titled, registered and insured MV’s? Will I get pulled over and told I can’t drive in Colorado?
This issue has ramifications that cross borders. It’s not just a CO problem, it’s a nationwide problem.
that’s what my truck is for also.
Like I was saying it’s legal for you to drive in the state just not registered

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks