• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wy Cummins

russ81

I'm currently doing a 5.9 Cummins swap for several reasons:
Availability of OEM parts
Availability of aftermarket parts
massive R & D on aftermarket upgrades
Excellent design, strength, and reliablity of "short block" in the stock form
Easy to increase HP & Torque externally with no internal modifications needed
and on
and on
and on

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Because it is a very well designed and tried and true engine.

My favorite diesel is an Alco 251C, but you ain't getting one of them in the deuce! :twisted:
maybe the bed...

Attachments

Rolling_Eudaimonia

I want to repower as well but I like the DT 466 mechanical injector pump for the job. I like the idea of building it up from 200hp to 325hp and 860ft-lbs of torque. At those ratings my Duke will have more power and torque than a standard M809series truck with the NHC block in it. Of course with the new engine I'll need to replace the transmission as well, I'm going with Fuller 6spd Manual meduim duty box, ARB air-lockers all around and 395/85R20's. I also want to keep the RPM around 2900rpm for maximum no-load rpm so that the truck will really move out when pushed hard on the highway. I've caculated with the 46 inch diameter 395/85R20's at 2900rpm the truck does about 80mph max. At 2300-2600rpm 60-74mph range. So that would make the truck really much better on the highway. And with the new box lows are stepped up to 30mph max. But the really important part is the new box is completely synchorized from first to sixth. So no more complete stops before entering first gear and the range is far lower giving even more low-end torque when necessary.

mudguppy

... I like the idea of building it up from 200hp to 325hp and 860ft-lbs of torque. ...
no reason to stop there - the 5.9 cummins can make those numbers...easily. you can have a lot more power w/ the dt466.

... I'm going with Fuller 6spd Manual meduim duty box, ... the new box is completely synchorized from first to sixth. So no more complete stops before entering first gear and the range is far lower giving even more low-end torque when necessary.
what trans are you looking at? initially, i was planning to put the 5.9 cummins and attached nv4500 trans into the deuce (ratios are similar to spicer, OD is a little deeper). however, w/ the 16.00s, i'm thinking that the ratios may be too wide spread (w/ either trans) for everyday driving. most of the 6spd boxes i was looking at have too low of a Low gear (8.x - 10.x:1), making it about unusable, then i'm back to about the same 5 ratios as before.

so, now i'm browsing other trans. the ESO66-7b 7spd looks pretty good...

Rolling_Eudaimonia

no reason to stop there - the 5.9 cummins can make those numbers...easily. you can have a lot more power w/ the dt466.

what trans are you looking at? initially, i was planning to put the 5.9 cummins and attached nv4500 trans into the deuce (ratios are similar to spicer, OD is a little deeper). however, w/ the 16.00s, i'm thinking that the ratios may be too wide spread (w/ either trans) for everyday driving. most of the 6spd boxes i was looking at have too low of a Low gear (8.x - 10.x:1), making it about unusable, then i'm back to about the same 5 ratios as before.

so, now i'm browsing other trans. the ESO66-7b 7spd looks pretty good...
5- & 6-Speed

This series of transmissions. I don't mind the fact that the first is 7.05 to 1 ratio, so what if you have shift quickly it will be awesome in low range when pulling stuff.

As for why only 325hp and 860ft-lbs of torque I really don't think the M35 will handle much more than amount of power before it does series frame bending damage. It is still a lot of power for this type of truck and should really improve performance.

yeager1

Since this is a thread about higher power motors, I have a question for anyone running one. Has anyone with a turned up 5.9 or DT466 (or whatever) had any transfer case issues from the power increase? any breakage?

mudguppy

...Has anyone with a turned up 5.9 or DT466 (or whatever) had any transfer case issues from the power increase? any breakage?
if you're talking about in a pick-up - it is extremely rare for the transfer case to fail. most failures seem to be from vibration or driveshaft angles. lots of guys w/ 1000 hp cummins still use the stock transfer case.

if you're asking about a hi-po motor in front of a deuce transfer in a deuce - i don't know. but i do know there are lots of mud trucks with 50+" tractor tires and blown big blocks that run deuce transfers.

it appears as though transmissions are the main concern as transfers typically tend to be stout.

nevrenufhp

If you drive a higher powered truck like an idiot, stuff is going to break really fast. That means no doing 6X6 burnouts!
If adjusted properly, you can make it live a long & happy life.

Last edited:

DavidWymore

395X85R20 Michelins are only rated for 68 MPH
I don't know what my 325/85/16s are rated for but they do SoCal freeway speeds in triple digit temps all the time on my Cummins Dodge....and have been known to hit triple digit speeds. Shhhhh

As far as breakage, two things play in...power and load. Power from the engine and load from vehicle weight, tire size, terrain. Then there's shock loading. The NP241 alum transfer case in Dodge pickups holds up pretty good till you shock load the drivetrain.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks