• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wyoming/Montana Deuce

plym49

Does anyone have any insight as to how I could find a Deuce in the vicinity of northeast Wyoming/southeast Montana?

It's for a non-profit organization out of one of the familiar universities that runs educational programs to help get kids started in science. The area is question is used to as a base of operations for fossil digs.

The excavation sites are well-off road, and the recovered fossils are heavily wrapped with burlap and plaster. A Deuce would make a perfect vehicle in this environment. Right down to the multifuel engine, this would be a perfect use for a Deuce.

Ideally the vehicle should be reasonably turn-key. One logistical challenge is that I am out East and the Deuce will need to be out West. I could go the GL route, and that might be a good option, but I would not want to deliver a science project to the organization in the form of a vehicle needing tires, batteries and all the little odds and ends and TLC that is needed to make it a driver.

In terms of use, the Deuce would sit most of the year and see easy daily use three or four weeks a year in the summer. Just like a lot of National Guard Deuces! LOL.

I was wondering if there are forum members in that vicinity that might have a Deuce for sale, be able to help me get a GL Deuce up and running, or whatever. Money is an issue of course but fair is fair.

Yes, it could certainly be a 5 ton instead of a Deuce.

Here is a view of last summer's fossil loading. I'm the guy with the hat (like looking at a photo of a Sturgis meet and saying that you are the guy in the black T shirt). This piece is abnormally big. It was loaded on the flatbed seen and then an ADDITIONAL 30 or so plaster-encased bones were piled on as well, some of which were almost three feet long. That truck was down on the snubbers and the tires were near flattened under the load, but it made it out. You can see why they need a Deuce!!!

Moderators, I did not post this as a 'Wanted' because the circumstances and logistics are somewhat unique. If, regardless of that, posting this here runs afoul of Forum rules I will move this as you direct.

Thanks in advance, all.

DSC_4342.jpg Miller (110).jpg

Miller (102).jpg Miller (91).jpg

Staff-SDE2011-2 (268).jpg Staff-SDE2011-2 (63).jpg

Staff-SDE2011-2 (51).jpg

Last edited:

islandguydon

I HAVE A m35a2 WITH WINCH SITTING AT A FELLOW SS MEMBERS HOME IN CHEYENNE.

JIM RECOVERED IT FOR ME 6 MONTHS AGO AND I HAVE BEEN TO BUSY TO GO DRIVE IT BACK TO MICHIGAN.

OOPS had the cap lock on. To lazy to rewrite.

The Truck needs a passenger side mirror mount and mirror, a drivers side seat belt. Everything else check's out.

Jim says its a "Strong Runner" Is this what your looking for..?

Attachments

panshark

GSA Auctions might be a more appropriate avenue than GL. You're going to learn what all of the Westies already know--it's not as easy to score OD Iron out here, due to not as many bases/depots. It may also be just as easy, if not better, to get an old semi tractor locally that gets poor gas mileage. You may get it in that area for little more than scrap value. Don't count out worn-out Forest Service vehicles.

Good Luck!

islandguydon

jeeplvr247 The man from Rochester Hills, I have a question for you....? you live in area code 248....correct..? Why then is your avatar jeeplvr247..?
Just looks like a typo to me since I live in 248 as well.

I just got back from a road trip to the UP last weekend, 3 weeks ago was a Florida to Michigan run in a M109, 50-55mph crawl back. My back needs a month to recover. I might take you up on that. Youth is a beautiful thing. Are you a good driver..? If PLYM does not take it I think I will take you up on your offer. There is no reason why he should not I believe there is only 6000 miles on it, all it needs is Sand, Prime & Paint, a 1 weekend job.

But if we can't make a deal I appreciate your help and would pay you well.

Thanks man,
Don

JarheadMtn

I can't find his name, but he has the truck stop in Livingston, Montana and sells military trucks. You may check with the Montana Military vehicle Montana Military Vehicle Club and see if they can get you in touch with him. I talked with him several months ago and he had some 5 ton dump trucks for sale.

jeeplvr247

Don - My house number is 724 but that email address was taken when I picked that name on my aol account so i scrambled the number. Im just a young buck but I haven't crashed yet, Luckily michigan police dont give a crap about speeding so i still have a perfect driving record. You have been all over the map, haven't you. I am always in for a road trip so if you need a hand give me a let me know. Sorry to send this thread off on a rabbit trail here.

plym49

JIM RECOVERED IT FOR ME 6 MONTHS AGO AND I HAVE BEEN TO BUSY TO GO DRIVE IT BACK TO MICHIGAN.

The Truck needs a passenger side mirror mount and mirror, a drivers side seat belt. Everything else check's out.

PM sent...

islandguydon

Don - My house number is 724 but that email address was taken when I picked that name on my aol account so i scrambled the number. Im just a young buck but I haven't crashed yet, Luckily michigan police dont give a crap about speeding so i still have a perfect driving record. You have been all over the map, haven't you. I am always in for a road trip so if you need a hand give me a let me know. Sorry to send this thread off on a rabbit trail here.

Your invited out to the Island, I want to meet you. I will have you drive the 109 around and you can show me your skills.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

PLYM,
If you have any questions about this truck just ask, I can go out and check anything. Don what do you want for it? I may have a lead too.
Jim

greg burns

Truck dealership

There is a company in Laramie, WY that sells military vehicles. I purchased an M35A3 from them a few weeks ago. Their contact information is in the photo. You might want to get someone knowledgeable to preview a vehicle for you.

Attachments

islandguydon

I'm not one to turn down an invitation like that!
I offered the M35A2 to PLYM for $2,750.00 IF he does not want it would you be ready for a road trip in a week or so........? I can fly you to Cheyenne then drive it back to Michigan. I figured 36 hours @ 2100-2300 Rpm and 50-55Mph. Jim would be a happy camper if you did. He has had it for 6 months.

PM me and we can work out the details.

Don