• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wyoming to Georgia 4000 miles for a cargo bed

greenmonster

We just got home from our road trip to Georgia for my new to me cargo bed.
I will do more of write up soon. We are still unloading all the junk we got along the way. Here is the pics of all the states we went through and my ending miles and fuel consumption.

Nebraska.jpgMissouri.jpgKentucky.jpgKansas.jpgIowa.jpgIllinios.jpgGeorgia.jpgTennesse.jpgGallons Used.jpgMiles traveled.jpg

Last edited:

Scarecrow1

Glad it was a safe trip. But I have to ask why in the world would you go so far for a bed? I really would have to be given the whole truck to under take a trip like that :)

3dAngus

I wouldn't do it for the whole truck. Probably has family to visit???
Where's my popcorn maker. I'm going to need it.:p

OH, there it is. :popcorn:

Last edited:

greenmonster

No I don't have family to see out there and it would have been way worse for me to haul a whole truck back. As it is the wind in Nebraska killed my fuel mileage with just the bed. I would hate to think what hauling a whole truck would have been like. We did it as basically a family road trip. We were supposed to go to mexico for spring break and the flights were so bad this year we chose not to go. So we decided to see the country and have some fun as well as getting me some new parts.

Day one: Cody Wy to Sidney Ne

Day two: A little tour of the the first Cabela's and off for St. Louis

Day three: See the Arch head off to Nashville

Day four: Took tour of Nashville and the grand ol' opry, visited the grand ol' opry hotel and that place is huge. Headed to Atlanta

Day five: Picked up bed had to crib the trailer a bit so it would clear fenders, On the way back towards Atlanta we stopped in Juliette Ga and saw where fried green tomatoes was filmed and we stopped at indian springs for some stinky healing water, After we were healed we had Bar B Q at the Open air Barbecue

More to come but here is some pics

2013-04-02_15-38-14_483.jpg2013-03-30_07-51-53_934.jpg2013-04-01_10-35-47_301.jpg2013-04-01_11-36-18_260.jpgIMG_0288.jpgIMG_0369.jpgIMG_20130404_125619_607.jpg

greenmonster

While in Atlanta we saw summit racing and went to Zoo Atlanta, also we got talked into going to the Varsity drive in.....if you get the chance to go....Pass

2013-04-03_11-05-25_282.jpg2013-03-31_20-49-05_739.jpg2013-04-02_14-07-29_700.jpg2013-04-03_12-23-13_59.jpgSAM_1144.jpgSAM_1193.jpg

Last edited:

greenmonster

Here is loading the bed and it at home

Attachments

3dAngus

Well thats the way to do it. Makes a whole lot more sense now.
I want to do the same kinda thing headed out west.

greenmonster

The other thing is, on the way back one of my friends that I was in the Marines with was from Missouri so we tried to look him up just to see if I could find him. Low and behold thanks to some online snooping by my wife we were able to hunt him down. So we had lunch with a friend I had not seen in 16 years.

Attachments

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Done that trip a few times.

FYI, there's a dozen beds here in Cheyenne at the local scrap place!

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pass on the Varsity? To some, those are fighting words. Chili cheese dog and onion rings.............um um good

greenmonster

Pass on the Varsity? To some, those are fighting words. Chili cheese dog and onion rings.............um um good
"whhhaaadaahhhyaa Habb" Nothing if you are smart! I can't even spell how they say it. So since you like it maybe you can explain how a place with cheap hotdogs rude service and Hormel chilli is so sought after? I truly don't get it we were told by everyone to go to the Varsity and I can't understand why? The food was bad one of us got food poisoning and parking was horrible and the servers were rude. What is the hype? We got basically one of every thing and no one was happy.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
"whhhaaadaahhhyaa Habb" Nothing if you are smart! I can't even spell how they say it. So since you like it maybe you can explain how a place with cheap hotdogs rude service and Hormel chilli is so sought after? I truly don't get it we were told by everyone to go to the Varsity and I can't understand why? The food was bad one of us got food poisoning and parking was horrible and the servers were rude. What is the hype? We got basically one of every thing and no one was happy.
Food poisoning? Sorry to hear that.

"what is the hype?"-it's as big a part of the city as the Fox Theatre! The Varsity is a part of Atlanta culture. It's been here a long time, since 1928 or something like that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Varsity

greenmonster

Food poisoning? Sorry to hear that.

"what is the hype?"-it's as big a part of the city as the Fox Theatre! The Varsity is a part of Atlanta culture. It's been here a long time, since 1928 or something like that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Varsity

We actually had two bouts of food poising in our group one from Varsity and two from the waffle house. We kept seeing signs for it so we figured we would try it. The two that got waffles no problems the two that got meat of some sort, one bacon and one sausage, they did not have a fun evening. You should read some reviews of the varsity on yelp we read them after we went and they are freaking funny.

greenmonster

Here is the funniest review of the Varsity I found. This is copied right from their site.

quote:

If you are looking to have a GI problem in the next four hours, need to eat lunch, and are in midtown.

This is the place for you!

Every time you eat here, God kills a kitten.

end quote.

I about died laughing at this.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like a great trip with a truck bed for a bonus! No need to explain why you did that trip, most of us understand. ROAD TRIP!!!

BTW, I'm not impressed by the Varsity either.

Bob

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, it must have gone down hill since I have eaten there. And I would starve to death before eating at a Waffle house or Huddle house.

greenmonster

Well, it must have gone down hill since I have eaten there. And I would starve to death before eating at a Waffle house or Huddle house.
Yeah I am pretty sure you won't see any of us in a waffle house again, as for the varsity there is no reason to go when there is a thousand restaurants in Atlanta.