• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

X Door Restoration

Autonomy_Lost

Just wanted to post some pics of a set of x doors I recently restored. I don't know what I'm doing and there was a ton of trial and error, but in the end I think it turned out pretty good.

I got some really beat up X doors for cheap on ebay. The two rear doors were pretty good except for some holes that needed to be filled. The fronts were REALLY beat up. Missing rivets, huge chunks of paint missing, no window frames, missing parts, etc.

The biggest issue was chunks of paint missing. The paint was so thick it was impossible to sand it smooth, I needed to fill the voids with something. My first attempt was using a two part epoxy. This worked okay, but it was tough to sand smoth. The epoxy didnt like making a feathered edge, when it got really thin it would just start peeling up. Then I tried fiberglass resin. This was a total disaster. It didnt bond well (probably just a poor prep job on my part) and ended up coming off in sheets.

Finally I came to the proper solution which in hindsight should have been obvious. Bondo! It goes on smooth and is easy to sand in 15 minutes. I used the reinforced bondo which seems extremely strong. If I could go back in time, I would have just used this from the beginning.

As for paint, its Behr premium which I rolled on. I plan to airbrush on the camo pattern in spring when it warms up.

Anyway the pics may now show up in the proper order, but you get the idea.

Attachments

Autonomy_Lost

Regretably I don't have many good before pictures except for a couple from the ebay listing. I attached them here for reference.

Also, I will mention that this is still a work in progress because the window frames are not done yet, and the drivers side rear door still needs a latch installed (its currently being held shut with some paracord).

I will post updates as the project progresses.

Attachments

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just wanted to post some pics of a set of x doors I recently restored. I don't know what I'm doing and there was a ton of trial and error, but in the end I think it turned out pretty good.

I got some really beat up X doors for cheap on ebay. The two rear doors were pretty good except for some holes that needed to be filled. The fronts were REALLY beat up. Missing rivets, huge chunks of paint missing, no window frames, missing parts, etc.

The biggest issue was chunks of paint missing. The paint was so thick it was impossible to sand it smooth, I needed to fill the voids with something. My first attempt was using a two part epoxy. This worked okay, but it was tough to sand smoth. The epoxy didnt like making a feathered edge, when it got really thin it would just start peeling up. Then I tried fiberglass resin. This was a total disaster. It didnt bond well (probably just a poor prep job on my part) and ended up coming off in sheets.

Finally I came to the proper solution which in hindsight should have been obvious. Bondo! It goes on smooth and is easy to sand in 15 minutes. I used the reinforced bondo which seems extremely strong. If I could go back in time, I would have just used this from the beginning.

As for paint, its Behr premium which I rolled on. I plan to airbrush on the camo pattern in spring when it warms up.

Anyway the pics may now show up in the proper order, but you get the idea.
Your work is beautiful however did you seal the fiberglass prior to final paint? The reason I ask is because fiberglass is a bit like a sponge and overtime paint is liquid and will suck into the fiberglass unless you have properly sealed it before painting.

Autonomy_Lost

Your work is beautiful however did you seal the fiberglass prior to final paint? The reason I ask is because fiberglass is a bit like a sponge and overtime paint is liquid and will suck into the fiberglass unless you have properly sealed it before painting.
There were only a few spots that had exposed fibers. I cleaned them thoroughly with acetone and let them dry, before going directly over it with bondo. I used etching primer on the bondo before paint.

Autonomy_Lost

spot putty works easy for chipped paint and is one part. Just squeeze it on and spread. Sand after drying.
That probably would have been fine for most of it, but some of the cracks were around the top hinge and I wanted the repair to add structural strength. I think the reinforced bondo did this well.

Action

That probably would have been fine for most of it, but some of the cracks were around the top hinge and I wanted the repair to add structural strength. I think the reinforced bondo did this well.
I didn't know " Missing rivets, huge chunks of paint missing, no window frames, missing parts, etc. " meant crack in the door near the hinges.

Autonomy_Lost

I didn't know " Missing rivets, huge chunks of paint missing, no window frames, missing parts, etc. " meant crack in the door near the hinges.
See the pictures in the 3rd post of this thread. Its hard to tell if that crack near the top hinge is structural or just the paint. But I feel better now that its repaired with the reinforced bondo. It didnt want to flex there before or after the repair, but better safe than sorry I suppose.

papakb

It's amazing what some time and patience will do for these trucks. The militaries motto is "Hurry up and Wait" yet they never have the time it (or incentive) it right yet their second motto is "There's never enough time to do it right, But always time to do it again". Funny about that one!

Your doors look great!

Autonomy_Lost

Just an update: The first door I fixed with epoxy had some failures. Seems like the expansion/contraction rate of the expoxy is much different than the door. I was able to redo that door with the bondo and its all fixed now.

The other door that I originally fixed with bondo is holding up great.

Also I finally got around to making the doors camo, and installed tempered glass windows that I had made by a local glass shop.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks