• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

X-Doors w/ Soft Top

JAGWAH

I've read several older threads regarding the fit of X-Doors with a soft top.

The doors I have don't seem to work with the standard door strikers. If I push really hard, I *may* get to the first click.

There was some discussions of using shims on the door side, underneath the locking mechanism.

Questions:

1) Is this the right approach?
2) Did you need to shim the door hinges?
2) Or would different (custom) strikers work best??

Action

I put on a softtop. I put on x-doors. I adjust x-doors. I close x-doors.

You probably just need to do a thorough adjustment.
FYI, the canvas moves easier when warm.

Action

And, if you have to slam the door to get the second click, it will be easier to open from outside by pushing on the door while lifting the handle. Or pulling on the inside while you push the lever.
As Dilvoy stated, add shims between the door and the latch, basically pushing the latch further from the fiberglass.

teteacher101

I've read several older threads regarding the fit of X-Doors with a soft top.

The doors I have don't seem to work with the standard door strikers. If I push really hard, I *may* get to the first click.

There was some discussions of using shims on the door side, underneath the locking mechanism.

Questions:

1) Is this the right approach?
2) Did you need to shim the door hinges?
2) Or would different (custom) strikers work best??
I had a **** of a time getting my X doors to fit "right" an latch to the second click. I had to "tweak" the top brace that runs from the A pillar to the C piller as it was low, high, twisted in, twisted out, etc. Once I got that, then I adjusted the screws on the hinges to get the vertical an horizontal as close as possible. The strikers I bought look like someone was making them in their garage an seemed to be made with the striker pin tweaked inward to far. So after opening up the bolt holes a little an pulling the striker pins outward with a pipe an a few love taps I finally got them to latch decent on the 2nd click.

dilvoy

Yes, I think those hard door strikers that are spray painted black are home made and not USGI Surplus.
Another thing to think about is that the Hard Top Humvees use a flat plate on both sides at the rear of the windshield frame to hold it in place as opposed to the brackets with the pin like Soft Top Humvees do. The flat plates are made of a different grade of aluminum than the rest of the vehicle and won't crack when bent. Anyhow, the plates are flat and have oval holes so the windshield can be positioned to be in line with the back side of the A Beam where the front of the door seals, unlike the quick release brackets that have the windshield angled back. Using X Doors with the original quick release brackets will make the top corner of the door hit the windshield frame before the door is lined up at the bottom with the rocker and at the rear with the B Pillar, making for a badly angled door or a door that has to be slammed and then throws the hinges out of adjustment often.