• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

X doors

Dayron84

Considering buying x doors for the humvee. They aren’t cheap so was wanting some input from those who have them. Basically is it worth the expensive cost other than the obvious cool look?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought my truck with both soft and X doors. After 7 months, I can tell you, it is very unlikely the soft doors will ever go back on. X doors are silly in pricing, but I a very happy I purchased them.

Dayron84

I bought my truck with both soft and X doors. After 7 months, I can tell you, it is very unlikely the soft doors will ever go back on. X doors are silly in pricing, but I a very happy I purchased them.
Thanks for the feedback. I think I would enjoy them also once I get past the cost.

Dock Rocker

X-doors are great in the cold, compared to the soft doors. That look MUCH cooler. They create a ton of blind spots. They kill airflow in the summer compared to the larger window hole on the soft doors. They are SILLY expensive.

kdaniels

I cut loose a set I had about a year ago....they were 85-90% with great glass and seals. I put them out for $2400..they lasted about 48 hrs. I like my soft doors for the ease of on/off.. I let someone else hold on to the "cool" factor.

SEMPER FI

keith

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They rattle loudly, and require immediate rebuild to be anywhere near acceptable. They need locks to be added, and once you add them they need to be manually locked from the outside for passengers (and re-locked when they leave) each time. I like the look BUT I hate the actual doors.

I am swapping my X-doors for electric ones with power windows and locks. I will then restore mine for times my vehicle is rented for cinema and such.

Dayron84

Do they use the same hinges as the soft doors? Require a different striker correct? So switching between hard and soft doors will require switching strikers?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes the door strickers are different. Hinge points are the same for the common basic x doors. Some of the armored and heavier doors have piano style hardware.

G3isMe

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I cut loose a set I had about a year ago....they were 85-90% with great glass and seals. I put them out for $2400..they lasted about 48 hrs. I like my soft doors for the ease of on/off.. I let someone else hold on to the "cool" factor.

SEMPER FI

keith
That was a good price. I paid $3,400 six months ago for my set. I still had to paint them to match the truck but well worth the price IMHO. You won't be disappointed if you can find a set at a price you think is fair.

kdaniels

I did some trading with one of the Guard units about 2005...I had about $180 in all four doors . Wasn't that big a deal back then because of the number of trucks in private hands . Those folks who bought Humvee parts back before the surge of trucks on the market are the smart ones. They took a risk and it's paying big dividends now.

SEMPER FI

keith

Ajax MD

What is the difference between the doors that are for soft top vs hard top?

To get a little more specific, the soft doors simply latch by the inside of the plastic handle engaging a metal loop on the door frame/B-pillar. They do not lock.
Hard doors actually have striker plates and strikers and other assorted hardware. You can fit locks to hard doors. Fitting locks to soft doors would obviously be a complete waste of time, unless you want someone to slice open your soft door to get that spare change you left lying on the seat.

A soft door is very Jeep-like and will not protect you from anything except rain. There is no collision protection. Some "hard" doors also don't offer much in the way of collision protection.

sue

We went the other way, we sold our hard doors
and love the soft doors, but most of the year it’s
no doors. But again to each his ( or hers) own.

Reactions: 98G

BLK HMMWV

Normally soft top HMMWV also had soft doors at least when issued.
Normally trucks with a hard tops had what are referred to as X doors.
They were on the early weapons carrier trucks. both used the same hinges ( two ) but the striker was different between the soft and hard doors)
Over the years the variants of HMMWV's have gone to much thicker doors using piano style hinges .
People with soft top trucks have upgraded their doors to X doors and still use the soft top.

Not sure that helps answer your question

Dayron84

Considering these doors but I noticed in the pictures that the door latches have been moved up on the inside of each door. Anyone have any idea why this would be? Seems like they could probably be moved back and just put four rivets back in the holes and call it done maybe?

Last edited by a moderator:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Considering these doors but I noticed in the pictures that the door latches have been moved up on the inside of each door. Anyone have any idea why this would be? Seems like they could probably be moved back and just put four rivets back in the holes and call it done maybe?

You aren't supposed to link to live auctions or sales on ebay to my understanding.

Last edited by a moderator:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks