• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Xm-161 mutt-vee

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These were an attempt to do something with M151 parts that DRMO let you pull off M151A2's before you had to crush the body flat. Somebody in Odessa TX was selling these if I remember correctly. One man could strip down 3 M151s a day and throw the parts into a van trailer. Every now and then when DRMO wasn't looking, an entire M151 would go in the van first before parts were piled over it to hide it.

Madmedic

The company who made them was up in North Texas. Their idea was to make them as a support vehicle to fill the gaps between the Humvee and the CUCV in the 80's. They were using surplus M151 Parts, and their attempted selling point to the military was that they already HAD a large number of 151 parts still in inventory at that time, so the military wouldn't have to worry about untried systems.

The company submitted 60 (approximately) of the 6 wheeled version and 30-40 (information fuzzy on this) of the 4 wheeled version to the Army at Aberdeen Proving Ground for consideration. The Army disbursed them to various units for trials, and while the response from the individual units was positive, the Army turned them down because they wanted all diesel systems.

The company making them, continued to make them under the name ALLEY CAT. But the Civilian version was different in several ways. The most notable, is that the rear bed area is enclosed. The military versions had an open space between the two front seats, into the back compartment. The suspension system was also different.

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
VERY COOL!!! I didn't know they made a 6 wheel version. If the army wanted diesel, I'm surprised the manufacture didn't make a prototype diesel version for the army to test. How many do you think are left.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea, looks like it would have been easy enough to convert to diesel.

At any given time, there are probably 100s of small companies trying to submit stuff to the DOD for consideration. Very few ever make the cut for whatever reason.

Madmedic

Very True.

I think the timing had something to do with it as well. 1988/89. Fall of the Berlin Wall,,,,, the "Peace Dividend". DOD was starting another one of it's scale downs.....

We know of two other MILITARY versions. Both owned by Steel Soldier Members. One is a 6 wheeled version like ours. It is in Washington State, owned by a fellow Texan. It has the M151 Engine, where ours is one of two the company made with a 6 Cylinder Chevy Engine, that they made at the Military's request for a version with a stronger engine. The other is a 4 wheeled version owned by a SS Member in Arkansas, who has done an amazing job of restoring it to a version as would have been seen in the late 1980's, and used by the Rapid Deployment Force, when we did deployments in Egypt, for Operation Bright Star.

We have seen the Civilian ALLEY CAT versions in different configurations come up for sale here in Texas every so often. They were very popular with ranchers and farmers, because of their ability to haul a load, pull a load, and go just about anywhere.

When I posted the pictures of the M-Gator next to the MUTT-VEE, I did so only in 1/2 Jest about it being the M-Gator's Big Brother. I suspect that the Mutt-Vee MIGHT have had some influence in the design of the M-Gator, 6 Wheeled Polaris, etc.

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know of 3 others all so. I saw one in the MVPA 2010 directory all restored, probably the guy in Arkansas. I saw another painted pink on ebay a few months back. If you go onto EBAY right now and search xm161 you will see a red one in TX. All are 2 axle versions. When the auction ends i'll post a link.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was an original 6x6 version of the M151 jeep called the XM-408. If any originals still exist, I couldn't tell you. TNJ Murray made some clones of them for a while out of parts units.

Here's one I snapped a picture of at ollied's place last weekend, it was built by Pizzoferrato. Ollie plans a complete resto of the unit.

Attachments

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would love to know if any xm408 still exist too. There was one of those Murray 6x6 jeeps at the Littlefield auction.

Madmedic

I remember seeing one of the original 408's at the Dallas Militaria/Military Vehicle show regularly. Of course that was until it died (the show) after 9/11.

The extended 4 wheeled type are fairly common here in Texas. The company's big money maker for it's West Texas Facility, were the Safari Parks that were all the rage in the 80's and 90's. The ones they made for the military consideration were made in North Texas, trucked to Red River Army Depot, receipted there, and sent by train to Aberdeen Proving Ground. We see a civilian 6 wheeled version about every 6 months on Craigslist, etc, when someone pulls one out of an old barn.

Here's some more picts. The 1st two are ours. Showing the bed behind the seats. I put a board up to show you what the bed of a civilian type would look like, just pretend it's metal. Also, 1 ea picts of the ones in Arkansas and WA State.

IMG_0813.jpgIMG_0812.jpgB%2010%20A%20Paul%20Harless%20-%20XM%20141.jpgSSPX1881.jpg

Last edited:

Austringer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know of three of the original XM408s, one recenetly sold on ebay and was in very rough shape, one is in TN at a friend of mine's place and it is in pretty good shape and the other is in New England area if my memory serves, though it's been 15 years since I last heard of it.

Jason

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks