• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

xm-211 restoration question

wildbilly1760

Hey, I see a 1952 xm-211 on ebay that is real interesting to me. It needs some restoration to be road worthy. Is there much supply available?. It says it needs brakes. I see in the pics there is rust. Does anyone sell body parts? And it looks like the windshield wipers are rusted off...... I am sure that isnt all.....but I am sure you folks might know. It may even be a SS member selling it? Anyhow...... How much work, and money would it take to make this a driver. I wont include the webpage, dont think it is allowable per forum rules. If you cant find it with a search I can PM the number. It looks like a nice project.

http://i.ebayimg.com/18/!Bdbd3-Q!mk~$(KGrHqMH-DUErgktBg7sBK46EDO7Qw~~_3.JPG

Last edited:

Stan Leschert

I think that I saw the one from PA? is that the one you're talking about. It needs some work, but if it was within towbar distance, I would snap it in a heart beat. Brakes, and sheetmetal are not that bad. What does he want 600 beans? Crap, the parts are worth more than that. I'll buy the soft top!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"Needs brakes" means 12 ea wheel cylinders at $30 ea, $60 master cyl, air-pack overhaul, brake hoses, wheel seals. Lotsa work to redo all the wheel ends. Sheet metal is not available new, you will have to find donor trucks or someone who is parting out. Plan on a new wire harness, all new lubricants, belts, hoses, upholstery, cab top, etc etc. Can run into some bucks, but don't let that stop you!

XM 2742

I'm doing one now and it is a great project. Complete disassembly and rebuild is not difficult. Motor parts are available, body parts can be repaired, wireing can be bought NOS or redone yourself. The job itself can be done by anyone with a bit of car repair experience and patience.

If ya want it buy it. The darned thing weighs 13000++ lbs..........at scrap value you can sell the metal and have enough left over to get a few beers and sit and wish ya hadn't scrapped it.

HAWKMAN

The one that I'm selling has a nice body on it and it runs good, just the carb is gummed up, you could get both trucks and make one from two and have a nice parts stash for the future. I 'm selling mine for $850.00. The truck is in Nazerth PA

Stalwart

To me they are the nicest looking of all the Deuces. I had a pristine one that I gave a lot of money for, it puked the transmission the next day. I put in a rebuilt one from those monkeys at Memphis Equipment, it lasted 70 miles and I very nearly took the plates off and left it there beside the road. I ended up giving it away to a friend that had some properly rebuilt transmissions and it is now the official parade vehicle for some old Korean War Vets, they love it.

Non-detergent motor oil in those transmissions will cause foaming and failure. That is what killed my first transmission, the guy I bought it from put that in it. A friend of mine had a transmission shop look into his problems with a Memphis rebuilt unit and they found numerous, serious, assembly errors and damage caused by improper assembly.

hippiedude

That would make a nice project .......Parts are out there you just have to hunt them down ....I love mine .... It`s almost ready for pant ........ Wish I had the extra cash ...... oh well .... Buy it you will love it ....... The sheet metal is easy to fix ... It`s heavy ga. easy to weld ...... Heck it`s heavier than most car frames ..... Tim