• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

XM-410, Need Info.

JGBallew

Not sure if this is the right area, but since it was kind of a proposed replacement- Maybe? (feel free to move to the proper area)

I have XM-410 "Pilot No 4" in the yard. The owner has a nice collection of images and test reports, but other than some machinist's drawings of the brake calipers, little real mechanical info.

What I need (if anyone can help) are wiring schematics/diagrams, and an operator or maintenance manual (If they ever existed) .

(Please excuse the crappy cell pictures)

Attachments

• Wow
Reactions: HDN

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
page 391 in U.S. Military Wheeled Vehicles, by Fred Crismon, has a write up on this truck, in it it says it has multi in it, in the #3 pic, it shows what looks like a carb and governor. ???

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One sold on GL 4-5 years ago. There's another in the midwest. I really doubt you'll find a manual except maybe from the manufacturer. I think they are amphibious too. Rare vehicle.[thumbzup]

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
page 391 in U.S. Military Wheeled Vehicles, by Fred Crismon, has a write up on this truck, in it it says it has multi in it, in the #3 pic, it shows what looks like a carb and governor. ???
That's a Mopar big block.

• Wow

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
That's a Mopar big block.
According to Crismon, the motor was a LD-465-2, this was in both the XM401 and the XM401E1, along with a 3 speed auto.
The truck is a Chrysler build, so the first could be a Chrysler gasser, since the pilot was built in 1958 and since the 58 deuces had a gasser, this XM401 could be the PILOT model BEFORE the LD-465-2, if so this could be a ONE OF A KIND, though nothing is said about a GASSER

• Wow

JGBallew

Oh it's a gas engine. 361. It runs quite well actually, once I jumped past the remains of the wiring.There was a later XM410E2 (or similar) that was a multifuel, but this is a gasoline mill.
Trans looks like a modified Torquematic, and it will move the vehicle, but the fluid is frothy and pink so I need to definitely drain.

Yes 73m819 , that image was of the carb, I can take more of the overall engine but I'm really having issues with wiring, fuel system (line routing, and an odd valve I assume is a breather/vent for the tanks).

I'm taking lots of cell images of the state of the vehicle as I go along, per the owner's instructions.

Looking pretty rough so far, but hey, one of maybe three remaining? I'm game if the person who's paying me to do the work is.

hndrsonj- It was at one time. You can see that amphibs work both ways though, as it's easy to see that the (formerly) watertight hull kept rainwater and snowmelt inside. The guy who owns it now is hoping it can be made that way again. It's doable, but I'd need to fab some pretty large access plates for the bottom of the hull that are missing. Also, someone at one time ground off the rivets that held the "bed" or the liner of the bed in place, as well as cutting a large hole just under where the spare would mount. So a lot of rivets need to be drilled and reshot. Where a lot of the vehicle looks like it used CherryMax rivets, it looks like old AN470's in this application.

Last edited:

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Oh it's a gas engine. 361. It runs quite well actually, once I jumped past the remains of the wiring.There was a later XM410E2 (or similar) that was a multifuel, but this is a gasoline mill.
Trans looks like a modified Torquematic, and it will move the vehicle, but the fluid is frothy and pink so I need to definitely drain.

Yes 73m819 , that image was of the carb, I can take more of the overall engine but I'm really having issues with wiring, fuel system (line routing, and an odd valve I assume is a breather/vent for the tanks).

I'm taking lots of cell images of the state of the vehicle as I go along, per the owner's instructions.

Looking pretty rough so far, but hey, one of maybe three remaining? I'm game if the person who's paying me to do the work is.

hndrsonj- It was at one time. You can see that amphibs work both ways though, as it's easy to see that the (formerly) watertight hull kept rainwater and snowmelt inside. The guy who owns it now is hoping it can be made that way again. It's doable, but I'd need to fab some pretty large access plates for the bottom of the hull that are missing. Also, someone at one time ground off the rivets that held the "bed" or the liner of the bed in place, as well as cutting a large hole just under where the spare would mount. So a lot of rivets need to be drilled and reshot. Where a lot of the vehicle looks like it used CherryMax rivets, it looks like old AN470's in this application.
That is part of the fording system

JGBallew

That is part of the fording system
I guess I'll have to take pictures. There is no alternate vent system other than what is attached to this valve. Can't really say it's for "fording" since the thing was meant to bob like an unweildy rowboat instead of running submerged.

Looks almost like a minature LPG pressure regulator, and I can only guess it's to prevent fuel from percolating into the air inlet housing, while still allowing vapors out and air in.

The pic shows the "valve"(?) with the vent line, and below it the feed line from the two tanks to a 24V Facet electric pump.

Next is the top of the tank. I'm not the first person to work on this truck, and this is how it arrived.( It also looks like someone tried to pump drywall mud through the fuel system.)

last is kind of hard to see, but you can see the route the lines take. Forward from the tank through a bulkhead fitting into the hull.

The "valve" in the first image is an example of why I'm asking for any docs, since I can guess what it does but something saying "Here's the routing of the lines, and why" would be better.

The electrical system is far, far worse, for example.

Attachments

nattieleather

You might be able to figure out the wiring using a gasser duce wire harness or even a M38A1 or a M151 since they would have had to make the wiring somewhat to mill standard. Since it's a rare bird you may have to work it anyway you can.

Oldfart

I think these led to the XM Pershing trucks so Cranetruck might have some knowledge on these. It looks like similar pressure systems to keep water on the other sides of the seals.

• Wow

Stalwart

Actually they were co-developed, the XM410 was the 2 1/2 and the XM656 later the M656 was the 5 ton. I'd be mighty suprised if they had the 465-2, remember at the time the 361 was a military specific engine, like used in the V100 Commando which is a fairly heavy vehicle too.

JGBallew

give Dan @ Pineview Surplus a call @ 9 8 9 3 4 8 8300 (Michigan)
He used to have one and knows about all of them that are in existence.

Will, do, thanks for the lead!

nattieleather- I'm using what I know about the M-211 and others of that era, plus some old Motor manuals for cars and trucks of that era. I have schematics for Dodge trucks using that engine, so worst case-yeah, kind of a "hybrid" harness.

Stalwart- Definitely a Chrysler eight, at the minumum in this beastie. Image related. The blue doohickey is an improvised fueltank.

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think these led to the XM Pershing trucks so Cranetruck might have some knowledge on these. It looks like similar pressure systems to keep water on the other sides of the seals.
I have to say not related, the m656 series by Ford, was designed to replace both the 2-1/2 and 5 ton vehicles. Program started in the early sixties and lots of components were made exclusively for this series, including tires and engine (modified multifuel).

Attachments

• Wow

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This exact vehicle, SN 4 was for sale in Nov 1996 in Supply Line for $4500. Says nothing about condition. What did you end up doing with it?

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The military version of the 361 was called the 75M, though you often see it referred to as the M75.

Manuals for it are TM 9-2805-216-34, and -34P

Cheers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks