• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

XM-816 pto issue

Bigfry78

Can't find any pics carrying them. Think thats all video, can pull pics off that though lol. Humm no pics with porch finished?.... Anyways, this would have been way easier with the crane.

Attachments

Bigfry78

Got a used pto that I believe to be a 97% of engine speed. Saved 500 bucks. That will be perfect for the crane. Midway for the gearing for the drag winch. Might be a good thing, keep me from overloading the cable. A 3/4 cable doesn't have a safe working load anywhere near 45000 in the Crane world. Will it hold, sometimes. Seen dozers and winch trucks snap their cables alot. In the crane business 3/4 cables are good for 11,200 lbs. In a straight pull. They hold because they have a 5 to 1 safety factor. I'm guessing but I'd figure I will stall before it bumps over 25000 with my gearing. I'm good with that. I have sheaves. I can make snatch blocks and buy them. **** I can get them at work at a discount. 4 parts of line and thats 100,000 lbs. I plan on having 3-4 snatch blocks, lol possibly a actual crane block, minus weights. Anyways, keeping closer to the WLL that I'm used to will be easier on the winch and cable. Yes if I was buried, I'd let it near stall, but I'd much rather add parts of line before i'd ever wanna get near 45000 on that cable. So Ima see how it does, I have a Lmi so I can check my pulling force. I'd really prefer a larger cable, idk why they use such a small cable for that much pull. Keeping it to 20-25 thousand per line should make it last longer. If I don't get the pull I want, I'll increase the size of the sprocket in the chain drive, to get what I want.

Attachments

Bigfry78

Mounted my new(used) pto, took a bit to get the spacer and gasket combo down for it to not be too tight, but not loose. 2 gaskets on each side and perfect fit. Humm, maybe I need a slightly thicker spacer, but just one extra gasket on each side of the spacer was perfect.

I also flipped the gear around on the other pto so it will face the front to power possibly my homemade winch.

Attachments

Bigfry78

Ok, had to flip the driver side back around, it was aimed at a crossmember... Maybe a adaptor in the future, or some other mods. Notched my crossmember for the shaft. Will reinforce the crossmember once I am certain the pto shaft will fit. Got all the pieces, now to go get it made, or make it myself.

Bigfry78

Ok, got a new pto shaft built, and a new pto for the driver side including a geared spacer that moves it far enough away from the engine crossmember to make it useable for the front. I also cut and clearenced a carrier bearing crossmember then welded in a 3/4 plate and caps to massively reinforce it.