• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

XM38E * Electro-Willys

dmetalmiki

No video link

fantastic project and achievement: however despite searching all over your link, there is no video "near the top of the page" only by searching all those dates ( which then reveals a blue video logo) just results in a video of a grey car. (and no way to fast forward to review if its even in later in the presentation.) can you post a link which does in fact go straight to a video that actually shows you driving the M38 electric powered jeep?. Google and relevent searches dont trace it. We await that with great interest.

Sirblissfull

Well I have 2 M820s the M820A2 is in Houston for the winter and one just south of you a ways in Chama NM.

Wish I still lived in Denver would love to meet up and hash out some wiring and motor specs. As an RV conversion for someone that is not in a hurry even if I could get 50 miles a charge I could have some fun planning a VERY LONG drive around the county with zero fuel cost. I am planning on putting panels and a small wind turbine on my RV conversion for use when parked to keep the batteries topped off. In addition to a propane genny.

m38mike

Thanks Steelandcanvas! We certainly got lots of questions about it. Kept my wife and I busy for all 3 days.

dmetalmiki, Let me help you find my videos. The first one is just what you are looking for. Go to this link:
EVTV Build Your Dream EV Contest Finalists

On this site you'll see a white banner that says, "Netgain Motors Inc. Finalist Selection: Mike Picard "

Directly below this banner you will find 3 yellow tabs. One says Writeup, one says Photos, one says Videos. Click on the videos tab. You will see 3 black screens show up. Click on the first one. The video shows me backing out of the garage, driving down the driveway, turning around and driving back up the driveway into the garage. And it's not a short driveway. At one point I think I hit 30 mph!

This will only work until Wednesday night. They will take down the web site that night since the voting will be done. So if you don't see it by then, I'll post the link to the youtube site where I have it saved.

m38mike

Or you could simply go straight to Youtube and watch it at this link:
Be sure to turn on the sound!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3wzWBy6uDY[/media]

Last edited:

mikes47jeep

i cant help it i need to say it

oh look you made a big kids powerwheels jeep rofl

pretty cool for an EV

i think i would have to go like a diesel locomotive, gen sets and traction motors

m38mike

Well I have 2 M820s the M820A2 is in Houston for the winter and one just south of you a ways in Chama NM.

Wish I still lived in Denver would love to meet up and hash out some wiring and motor specs. As an RV conversion for someone that is not in a hurry even if I could get 50 miles a charge I could have some fun planning a VERY LONG drive around the county with zero fuel cost. I am planning on putting panels and a small wind turbine on my RV conversion for use when parked to keep the batteries topped off. In addition to a propane genny.
Do what I'm planning on trying - gasification for my generator. I've got the US Dept of Ag plans for a gasifier that I will make to provide fuel for a gasoline powered generator. Then with a small electric chipper, you can shred almost anything like grass, branches, scrap wood, newspaper and make fuel for the gasifier. I would love to drive around the country on nothing but yard scraps and dead branches from the woods. And if you generate electricity as you go to keep your batteries charged up, you can travel hundreds of miles every day if you want to. The "generate as you go" idea is the one I'm testing with the Alaska Convoy next summer. I'll test the gasifier idea in 2013.
:driver:

m38mike

Check out this web site for wood gasifiers and plans to make them.
Wood Gasifiers - Generate power with wood!

Here is a 140+ page manual about gasification put together by several researchers. Lots of good technical information in here, along with some designs and the differences between the types of gasifiers. It also has a very good discussion on the value of different types of fuel for gasifiers, like grass, wood, bark, paper, etc.

http://taylor.ifas.ufl.edu/documents/Handbook_of_Biomass_Downdraft_Gasifier_Engine_Systems.pdf

If you google "gasifier" you'll find more plans. If you google "gasification" you'll find more studies about how it works. For a bug-out scenario, this is the type of energy production a person needs to have. There will always be tree branches and grass. There may not always be gas or diesel available.

dmetalmiki

Thank you for the direct point and click link. Way to go..keep it simple fus computer thickies! pity about the music tho' I REALLY wanted to to hear the sound of it (or lack of) will be looking out for more on this project , hopefully with the electric motor sound. music is so VERY distracting. P.s. We like your "back garden" what a beutifull view and location.

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So did you win? What ever came of this?

saddamsnightmare

December 12th, 2013.

M38Mike:

I might have suggested that you look into deep draw lead acid batteries for mine locomotives, at 12V per battery, you would have needed a lot less then the 18 you have. I can figure for a 3rd gear start, as you are using a DC series wound motor, so it should be able to put out for two or three minutes about 3 to 4 times the rated horsepower on starting. Did you allow for dynamic braking on stops? If so, that will contribute something towards recharging on downgrades and long slow downs. The Army and ConDeCo experimented with a diesel electric deuce using hub mounted motors, and the unit apparently did very well but was more expensive then the stock M35A2. Four hub mounted motors would relieve you of the weight of the transmission, transfer case and driven axles, and the motors individually would be of lower individual HP in ratings. Still, an interesting experiment.:naner: