• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

XM501 Hawk Missle Carrier

conny

Hello,
Just curious what the going rate for this type big project vehicle is nowadays. Might be seeking a project one for boom toys if available. Basically need the hydraulics, steel cradle arms and base with the project. Doesn't need motor, trans, tracks (although would be nice) or fenders. Thank you.

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very hard to find in the US as you know, may have to look in Europe. A lot of the ones released in there did not have the hydraulics removed.

Guyfang

Staff member
If you start looking in the EL Paso and White Sands area, it possible to find such things. El Paso was the home of ADA, and there is much of the old systems still in the area. I directed two people in this direction in the last two years. Both had at least some success by looking there. What are your intentions?

conny

As a Tactical Medic (EMT) assigned to a SWAT Team, I follow close behind the Team in case medical attention is needed. Many times wherever SWAT is called, there are already injured in the open. I want to take an M501 and mount protective shields on the arm where the missile sits. Because the arm extends, I can extend and lower the shielding in front of injured for their protection and to administer aid. On the back, I want to add a raise-able platform to drag the injured onto, raise platform and front shield enough to back out of kill zone to waiting ambulances. According to statistics, this would be used more than a couple times a year to justify my expenditure. I can use the original hydraulics unit to power the rear ramp vertically. Like I said, need a project.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you start looking in the EL Paso and White Sands area, it possible to find such things. El Paso was the home of ADA, and there is much of the old systems still in the area. I directed two people in this direction in the last two years. Both had at least some success by looking there. What are your intentions?
Indeed!
I have seen some odd surplus equipment in and around Alamogordo, NM.
Hope you find your cache!

Guyfang

Staff member
As a Tactical Medic (EMT) assigned to a SWAT Team, I follow close behind the Team in case medical attention is needed. Many times wherever SWAT is called, there are already injured in the open. I want to take an M501 and mount protective shields on the arm where the missile sits. Because the arm extends, I can extend and lower the shielding in front of injured for their protection and to administer aid. On the back, I want to add a raise-able platform to drag the injured onto, raise platform and front shield enough to back out of kill zone to waiting ambulances. According to statistics, this would be used more than a couple times a year to justify my expenditure. I can use the original hydraulics unit to power the rear ramp vertically. Like I said, need a project.
Would be doable. The engine is the same as a M151A2. Might want something more dependable. Some of my HAWKer buddies are in the El Paso area. I will ask them to make a look see.

conny

Thank you for asking your friends. I'll just keep scouring the internet for a project. Twenty-five years ago they came up often for sale but, the market of what's available is drying up.

Guyfang

Staff member
Just this last year I tried to help someone find track pads. Keep your nose to the grind stone. Look for a "Club" in White Sands, that is restoring a HAWK, (Holiday And Weekend Killer) system. I have seen pictures, and they have a large lot of "Parts Donors" to rob from. They are/were in Face Book.

67Beast

I would think it would be easier to use something like a Sky Trak telescoping fork lift and then build an armored box to go on the fork attachment. Parts would be a lot easier to find and maintain than a long out of production surplus vehicle. During this weeks event in New Jersey they had a skid steer with something similar.

conny

Wow 67Beast, That is way to large to be trucking around to any objective. The M501 is small, tracks, has hydraulics already there. lower silhouette, lower driver position........this is the easiest and probably the best choice. Also, when finished being used, easy to convert back to original M501 condition.

Some tracks on eBay. These are more expensive than Halftrack tracks.

Guyfang

Staff member
Wow 67Beast, That is way to large to be trucking around to any objective. The M501 is small, tracks, has hydraulics already there. lower silhouette, lower driver position........this is the easiest and probably the best choice. Also, when finished being used, easy to convert back to original M501 condition.

Some tracks on eBay. These are more expensive than Halftrack tracks.
We loaded them on deuce or 5ton, long bed trucks. We had special ramps to get them up in the bed. If one read the TM, one could even use the ramp to rig up something like a gin pole crane. If I remember right, we needed 24 ratchet straps to safely secure it to the truck. We had to install a second tie down kit to the trucks to do this.

If you take the missile arms off, then the silhouette would be much lower, yes. The Halo over the driver could also go.

The two final drives were sometimes a problem. Hard to get. Didn't brake often, easy to change. I will never admit to doing something like this, but once was involved with a group of thugs who built an earthen ramp, to see who could jump a loader the longest distance. 14 feet was the record. It also broke both final drives at the same time. Another HAWK world record!

Found two here for sale. Both German models. Different engine. One has most of the boom, and the other has had the boom removed.

Last edited:

theman10k

We loaded them on deuce or 5ton, long bed trucks. We had special ramps to get them up in the bed. If one read the TM, one could even use the ramp to rig up something like a gin pole crane. If I remember right, we needed 24 ratchet straps to safely secure it to the truck. We had to install a second tie down kit to the trucks to do this.

If you take the missile arms off, then the silhouette would be much lower, yes. The Halo over the driver could also go.

The two final drives were sometimes a problem. Hard to get. Didn't brake often, easy to change. I will never admit to doing something like this, but once was involved with a group of thugs who built an earthen ramp, to see who could jump a loader the longest distance. 14 feet was the record. It also broke both final drives at the same time. Another HAWK world record!

Found two here for sale. Both German models. Different engine. One has most of the boom, and the other has had the boom removed.
Do you have the links to the two you know are for sale?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks