• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

XM757 8x8

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks! Everything is here except fuel tanks (it normally has 2ea 80 gal tanks).
I'll rig something up and after an oil change, try starting it. The engine is the Continental LDS-465-2.

Well, there are some things missing, the soft top hardware, the spare, which is stowed behind the driver's seat and the 5th wheel, for example.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn, do you have the door for where the spare tire goes? IIRC the air cleaner is behind the passenger seat. I imagine you will improvise a hardtop frame and construct another bikini top for the XM. Looks like here before long you will be needing a semi trailer. Think you'll try lighting it by weeks end?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah Kenny, I have the door, it was installed with a couple of hinges and sheet rock screws. It just had to be corrected, it's normally installed with bolts only.
Don't know about the schedule for firing it up, weather in these parts is a big factor. I do have a couple of extra fuel tanks and in-tanks pumps now..don't know the condition, though, they came from the fire area (Oklahoma).
BTW, I think it has the whistler turbo, it is kind of small...

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Bjorn,
Let me know what kind of internet connection you have - I have a lot of info on these trucks I can send you. And, for another couple of guys waiting on data, I should be home and able to send this late this week.

Best wishes,
David Doyle

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks David! I have the -10, -20P and the -34 manuals. Looking for the -20., but any additional info would be very helpful, since they appear to be "experimental". Mine doesn't have the black-out driving light, for example, only the headlight and the front composite, no space for the BO light.
I love this truck for its many features! :)
I have the high speed DSL internet connection.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
I've got the report prepared the Ford designers for SAE on the vehicles which I'll send you, along with some photos. Stay tuned.

Best,
David

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking forward to it David!
Kenny, about the tires, the wheels are 12 inches wide, for tubeless radial low profile 16-20 tires. 30 psi front and rear for highway and cross country in general.

williamh

i had a friend that had the XM858 that was complete ... except the builge pumps ... lots of fun to drive ... had the automatic trans . everything ... would redline about 45mph ... eats tires worse than anything i ever seen. would ride great on all types of terain ... worked great in the sand and did go " floating " in the bay ... lots of cleanup afterwords .but worth it ...

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You probably mean the M656, the only version in the series that can swim.
About the tires, mine are dated '69 and '70 so they are original, hopefully newer tires with fresh rubber will wear better. I tore one up just towing it home.

Attachments

Elwenil

The similar truck that "Tom the fastest M35" was wearing XLs and it looked awesome on them. I'm sure someone has pics of that truck somewhere on here. I have some that he sent me but they are on my home PC.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I rode in Tom's truck and haven't a single pic of it. His too was an M757 originally. He stripped the tractor stuff off and installed an M36 bed. Bjorn, does your truck still have the Tractor Protection Valve air switch on the dash?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Received the SAE paper David. Excellent, excellent! I'm much more interested in restoring functionality than color and markings, so this kind of info is perfect. Thank you Sir!.

Parts of it are impossible to read (poor copy), but I'll ask for particulars when I get stuck. :)

Thanks again,

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks