• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

XM757 8x8

rmgill

Bjorn, I just realized. You can't have this truck. You'll have to give it up!

Why? The dash is too small. Where are you gonna add the 20 other gauges, indicators and controls your Deuce has? ;-)

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Let me know what info is mangled, and I'll try to replace them. You should have also gotten some photos of what was likely the first XM757 that I thought may be useful to you.

Good luck with your project.

David

Adamlee

XL's on a m757

those XL's make it happen....NOW we're talking!

although, a shop van body is probably the last type I'd want on any vehicle...too much like a military moving van than a tactical vehicle (at least in appearance).....but a neat truck nonetheless!

BigJay

RE: XL

Been looking at Bjorn's "rough" pics and having a hard time figuring out if I liked that truck or not. Now that I see the completed one, man... that thing looks awesome. In my mind's eye I see a crane and a flatbed... but Bjorn already has one of those... The tractor will still look cool.

-Jay

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
RE: XL

As I recall, Tom had to trim the fenders to fit those tires - which he bought after giving up on finding the right ones.

The expansible van variant of this truck, the M791, was the control center for a Pershing II missile battery - truly a cold war icon.

BTW, when Tom was selling the truck, a group of former Pershing launch control officers looked hard at buying it in order to make a mobile museum - dunno if that is what happened.

Regards,
David Doyle

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Really cool truck, Bjorn. I can't wait to see that up and running around fully restored.

I saw that 8x8 at Aberdeen in 2005, too. Guy had $4,000 on the truck, but he wanted to keep the tires. $8.000 if the tires went with the truck. Not bad, but where to put it?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Apparently they were custom made for this family of trucks. I have Goodyear and BF Goodrich tires on mine.
The Goodrich ones have the military FSN number right on the tire, indicating that it's indeed a military part. (FSN 2610-886-1262)
Guess I'll need 2 or 3 more tires for short road trips anyway. The tread isn't too bad, just old rubber. Wonder if Tom Bauer kept the old tires...
The wheels are aluminum and very light, btw. Will need one more of them, since my XM757 doesn't have a spare.
The spare is stowed behind the driver's seat and could easily be handled by two people, thus no crane to lift it.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The education continous...here one of the "sealed for life" brakedrums is shown. Brakes are 100% air. We pressurized the system before the trip in OK and the brakes worked and released just fine. Light pedal pressure was all that weas needed.

The truck was built from scratch to mil spec and was not a modified/improved older truck and therefore has many interesting features.

Built by Ford Motor Co, delivered in 1969.
The M656 model, built for swimming has pressurized door seals!! The cab tub is all aluminum and is completely sealed.

(*) "Sealed for life" according to the SAE paper.

Attachments