• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

xm757 engine access

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been driving the 757 a bit lately and have had problems with the throttle sometimes sticking. On my latest drive, the governor mechanism locked up in "full throttle" and I had a lot of fun driving it about 2 miles back home, braking and shifting the automatic transmission within permissible road speed ranges. Hated to shut it down with the rpm at 2800, but there was no choice (turbo oiling wise).

In the past, the procedure would have been to lift the cab for access to the IP. Without a crane, I decided to tilt the cab just enough to reach the pump and it turned out to be a lot less time consuming anyway. Pictures attached.

Found a piece of a broken plunger return spring, which had messed with the fulcrum mechanism. The spring was broken along with a missing spring keeper part from day one of me owning the truck.

Attachments

paradeduty

Wow - good thing it did not cause any appreciable damage (hopefully)! Sure glad (as probably are you) that you know what you are doing with the IP's. Good job getting it home. One time years ago I lost the accelerator cable on a cab forward Oshkosh firetruck about 5 miles from home. Fell back to idle, so not you're WOT issue, but it was "fun" coaxing the 8V92 back home at idle in a 35K truck (55' Snorkel basket truck) using "selective shifting" of the Allison. Have a feeling I know what you were doing to keep busy! With that LVS "tuned up" at the factory, it was probably fine. Maybe not working it hard (high RPM, but not beating on it) the turbo may not have been too, too hot. Bottom line, other than shutting it down where it was, there was not much else you could do about the turbo at that point.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ryan, yes it was sold last year, pressure from above...

Gimp, thanks no problem with parts, fortunately, just some FO without damage. The 465-2 IP is different in some ways, it uses a "torque link" to reduce shift shock during automatic shifting, a part not found in any other multifuel IP.

Truck is running good again.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks