• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

XM757 progress

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This thing is keeping me busy, image lists most of the stuff I'm working on, but the list is far from complete....
At least a dozen of you, my fellow steelsoldiers have contributed in one way or another over the past two years for which I'm very grateful.

Will be working on the fuel selector valve wiring again today...

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: XM757 progress

maddawg308 said:
Just remember, when you're mostly done with the 8x8, TIME TO GET ANOTHER PROJECT! :)
Right Mike, but every time I start a new job on this truck it tends to expand into a project. Installing this fuel selector valve, I had to remove the 3rd air tank, which was in the way and it turned out to have a epoxy putty fix hidden from view! Not good for a vehicle which depends 100% on air for braking...A new tank is now ready to be installed.

Attachments

Armada

Keep up the nice work Bjorn.
I remember fixing a couple leaking gas tanks like that in my youth, back when what little money you had went to putting fuel in the car. It worked.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
More images showing the current status of the project. The fuel tank selector valves are now fully operational and a cover was fabbed up to keep rain and snow off.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whats left to do Bjorn besides rubbers? Is it ready for the winter pilgrimage to FL and parts south?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hardly seems like the same truck that you hauled back. Looks great Bjorn.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
cranetruck said:
This thing is keeping me busy....
At least a dozen of you, my fellow steelsoldiers have contributed in one way or another over the past two years for which I'm very grateful.

Will be working on the fuel selector valve wiring again today...
Where else can a person, follow such an interesting and odd piece of American History, being put back into operating condition(with some owner improvements), in such detail and be a part of it(with comments, suggestions or leads to parts, or just enjoying the pictures and reading, etc). Bjorn, Thank you, for "sharing" it with us, I am grateful to you. :wink:

EZFEED

Too cool Bjorn!You have really squared away this rig!

Got a question though, where will you find a replacment air tank for it or do they use the same as the dueuce?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
EZFEED said:
Too cool Bjorn!You have really squared away this rig!

Got a question though, where will you find a replacment air tank for it or do they use the same as the dueuce?
The air tank was replaced with a spare that I had sitting around. It's the same as the deuce tanks except for fittings and 3 ea tanks are used on this truck.

Kenny wrote: Whats left to do Bjorn besides rubbers? Is it ready for the winter pilgrimage to FL and parts south?

I'll probably find something to do on this project for a long time to come, I simply love to work on it. The steering knuckle boots are still missing (same as on the deuce, but 4 ea), black out head light mount, coolant heater final testing, fuel line heater hook-up, canvas cover for rear portion of cab, winch testing and shear pins, back-up light, mud flaps and hangers, a couple of more gauges and lights, heater ducting within the cab...the list goes on, but nothing major.
The tires are probably good for 1,000-2,000 miles if not more, did find a spare, which is NOS. :)

EZFEED

Sweet! Lemme know what size the boots are and what lengths. There is a company here locally that specializes in stuff like this and seals, etc for oilfeild applications. The boots that go on the brake actuators on my Praga are thin and falling apart and it cost too much to order them overseas but this local company makes the same thing but nearly twice as thick and lasts, and get this....for only $4.25 each! Very similar to a shock boot but closed on one side. I'm sure they might have a boot that you could use too. :)

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Flea said:
Are you going to try to stick with NDT's for tires? Or are you going to try for an OTR tire?

Looking great!
Like the engine, the tires (16/70-20 NDCC) were designed and used exclusively for this series of trucks, so they are hard to find. So, yes, I do want to stick with the original style. They were made both bias ply and radials, all mine are bias ply, the one radial that was on the truck blew out during the tow from OK. The tires are tubeless, bias as well as the radials.
The tires are almost 15 inches wide and recommended pressure is 30 psi, the original "mudboggers", "super swampers" or whatever. :)

Commercial tires are available, usually made for graders, backhoes etc (image below, 405/70R20, covered by the water mark), but they are about $1,200/ea!!!
Second image compares the 1100-20 NDCC to the tires used on the xm757.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks