• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

XM816 swap to Michelin 53 Super singles

CombatJack

Hi all, I have a set of Michelin 16.00R20 Tires that I put on a set of 10 Lug rims (PN 89193) to do a swap from duals to Super singles on my XM816 Wrecker. (picture attached)

From the research I did, the rim will bolt straight up to the axle already with no modifications. But my question is, how do you install the super single on the rear axle that is supposed to have duals? Is there parts that must come off, or what? Is there a thread on here that already covers this, or a video on youtube that i couldn't find?

Thanks a lot, in advance for all of the help.

-Jack

Attachments

CombatJack

No modifications need to be made to the axle. You will need to change out the rear lug nuts to ones like you have on the front. They're available at Napa and similar places.
ok, why is that (out of curiosity??) And do you have a part number for them so i can look into it??

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Duals get a two part wheel retention device.

The inner wheel gets a "thimble" that mounts over the wheelstud. And sleeves the wheelstud with larger diameter threads. The outer wheel then goes over the thimble and is retained by a lugnut compatible with these larger threads.

The front wheels are held one with just a lugnut, compatible directly with the wheelstuds.

Sometimes you'll see people use singles on the rear held on with just the thimbles. This is neither safe nor legal. On something as heavy as a wrecker I strongly advise you not to even consider it. Spend the $3-$4 per lugnut to do it right. Note that you'll need 20 left handed lug nuts and 20 right handed lug nuts.

You want the lug nuts identical to the ones on the front of the truck, not the conical ones we use with HEMTT rims. Unfortunately I don't have a part number. (New phone, lost a bunch of data).

The wheels you mounted on are 5ton combat rims. You may have clearance issues on the driver side front using these with 16.00s. On 939series trucks this combination rubs. I don't know that the 809series has this problem.

I have a 939series truck with 16.00s and hemtt rims. No issues. I have an 809series truck with 16.00s and hemtt rims. No issues.

I don't know that I really recommend 16.00s on a wrecker. The loss of bottom end power is going to be very pronounced. The sidewall flex is going to make a much less stable platform than the duals. It is also possible for the tires to contact the bed during articulation. To single a wrecker I personally would use 395s. My 939series wrecker is on 14.00s. I'll be changing to 395s when these wear out. (Too late for you since you already have wheels/tires, but others may want this info)

CombatJack

Hi all, so 4 of these tires have a slow leak and after a bunch of research, it seems its the O-rings. so i busted one apart, and the O-ring looked good, but there was some rust on the rim halves. So i wire brushed them clean where the O-ring sits, and I have new O-rings to put on. My question is: do i need to blast some primer on the cleaned surfaces before i put the o-ring on, or should i let it be bare metal (i would think rust would build again).
Thanks in advance. These are a bear to work on!

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't like the look of the reversed single wheels on the rears, so I pulled the hubs, reversed the studs and bearing races, and reinstalled them.

Now all 6 wheels look the same, with the dish out. A bunch of work, but worth it to me.

You don't have to buy any parts to do this mod, either. Plus it keeps me from falling back to duals.

DDG

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks