• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

XM816 Wrecker will not go over 1500 RPM

CombatJack

Hi all, I pulled my wrecker out of the barn last weekend and used it to set a couple of 3,600lb cattle troughs. It ran great, and would go as hard as I pushed the pedal. This past weekend I went to start it, and it has such low batteries that it wouldn't start, i had to charge them (thats a first, it usually ALWAYS cranks fine). Once I got it running, I started driving it down the road, and it would not go over 1500 RPM no matter what I did to the pedal. I could floor it, and it would stop at 1500 RPM though the pedal would continue on down. I got under hood and used my hand to throttle it up, and same issue. Stops at 1500. Doesnt matter if it is under a load, or in reverse, or idle and neutral, etc...... I have not had a chance to pull the manual and troubleshoot yet (as this just happened yesterday). I am going to start by doing a full swap of fuel filters. Anyone have any ideas that stand out immediately that would cause this??? any help is apprecaited before I dive into the manual!
_jack

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like the aux. governor is still in gaged. Check your rear controls are disengaged and locked. There are two back by the rear winch. Drivers side is winch control and the one next to it is the Hyd. pump and aux governor. Both should be stored disengaged and little pins locking them down.

Last edited:

M37keppy

I had the same thing happen on my m816. When the hydraulic pump For the boom is put in gear there is a throttle stop engaged under the hood on the side of the engine to stop you from overreving the pump. There is some linkage under the bed that controls that. I had one of the pins came out of that linkage and it kept the throttle stop engaged.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had another thought so bear with me is been years since I have been under a 816. The rear pump control lever rod goes up the passenger side up to the Hyd. pump. Then it keeps on going to and air valve and air line feed and the air line up to the air ram that is attached to the PT pump. If the rod has come off the air valve under the truck and the air valve that controls the PT ram is is in the open position then the aux. governor would be engaged. The aux governor as Keppy said keeps the pre set rpm for Hyd. use. Then when we engage the pump if the throttle lever on the rear is working we just open it up and the engine will go to preset governor. If I remember 1400 / 1500 rpm is ok. If your rear engine throttle control is not working just pull out the throttle cable on the dash and the aux. governor when working correct goes to preset rpm.

CombatJack

Well any updates?
No, I have not gotten back down to the farm to work on it since this post ,as work picked up like crazy and has sent me everywhere. Spent 2 weeks in Wisconsin, and am currently in Missouri. I can't complain, when the money is there, you work for it! Probably will be a couple more weeks until I can get back down there. I will be posting photos, and updates once I get a chance!

CombatJack

Sounds like the aux. governor is still in gaged. Check your rear controls are disengaged and locked. There are two back by the rear winch. Drivers side is winch control and the one next to it is the Hyd. pump and aux governor. Both should be stored disengaged and little pins locking them down.
This is exactly what it was. THe pin had worked out, and the lever had moved half out. I put it back into position, put pin through and the lock pin inserted then jumped in and it revved like a bat out of hell. That was most certainly the issue!! Thanks for all of the suggestions, guys. Helped tremendously.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks