• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

XM817 vs. M817

DanJ

What is the difference between the 2 I have seen data plates for each online and I do not know what the difference is.

Thanks

ida34

It means a limited run that has not accepted full type acceptance yet. In the case of the five tons it means the military wanted them real bad and were sure they would pass the type acceptance test. The started accepting delivery but until all the paper work was done they are XM817. After the truck series received full type acceptance they started building trucks without the X. X does mean experimental but for the military it really means an item that has not been fully accepted yet. Experimental vehicles also used the X but it really does not mean experimental. It really means not type accepted yet.

M813A1

The X had to do with the trucks not being bought under contract !! The trucks were bought without the contract, like it was mentioned above !! There is really no difference with the vehicle other then the way it was bought !!

DanJ

Thanks, I searched a few different ways and came up with no results. So what year did the XM817 become accepted and become just M817?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks