• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

xm818 started, ran great... then ... wont start!!! WT@#$#@

scootertrs

My recently acquired XM818 started and ran like a top during pickup, then great during unloading and several times while sitting at my yard. Then, a friend fixed an air leak (swollen and ruptured copper line) in the brake system and the air filter was checked as well as oil level(both looked fresh). Then truck sat for about a week. Batteries are excellent as truck spins without any trouble and now the oil pressure while cranking shows 30+ psi and the air pressure of the brake system build up to over 40+. problem is, it will not start. does not even try. Of course, there is fuel in the tank...
I wonder if something came undone while doing the check-out. I do see a bit of white/gray smoke coming out of exhaust stack, which tells me I have fuel going into the engine. I use the prime pump and after two pumps it shows over 100 psi on the prime gauge. preheater seems to be working. Anything I should check before I tear into it? I am afraid that since Ihave never seen a 5 ton up close, I may be missing something. If I did not know better, I would swear I lost the prime in the fuel... but how do I explain the smoke out the stack? Where should I go next? truck ran strong and without issue last time started. Thanks

tommygun

If when you shut truck down the last time ,you used the manual fuel shut off (T shaped handle on right side of steering wheel ) You will have to go under the hood and reset it by traceing the cable to the shut off and pushing it back toward radiator. It does not reset automaticly

scootertrs

Sure great to have knowledgeable people that are willing to share that info here. Who knows how many hours I would have spent looking at the TMs and wiring diagrams... Reset it and she fired up first tap. :razz: Now to find the m#$%$r f$%%#r that used it to shut the truck off in the first place. :evil: I firmly believe they are deserving a 16 pound hammer tap to the groin. Why can't people just leave things alone (specially if it does not belong to them). Anybody set up that "kill switch" with a return spring for auto reset it if used?

scootertrs

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!
Sometimes it's the simple things that bite you in the arse.:-D
At least it wasn't an injector pump or something else that cost money.
I am definitely pleased about that! My stimulus check has not arrived yet... better check the mail box again...:roll: Took her out for a spin... torquey little beast!! gotta do somethning about the seat though... went through some rough spots and almost bounced out of the cab... the seat either bottomed out or it tried to spit me out like a watermelon seed... Gonna try to adjust the spring some...