• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

XM818 vs M818

TheBuggyman

Is there any difference between the two? I've noticed on GL that the XM is typically 30K+ gvw and the M is typically 50K+ gvw. What gives?

Also, when flat towing a MV with a MV is there an interconnector cable for lights and signals? Where would this get hooked to on the towed vehicle? The trailer outlet?

Any suggestions for towing a 5 ton with a 5 ton?

Don't know the difference with XM and M. mine are XM's . the light question, i use a wrecker light set. never have tried powering the towed unit electrical thru the light plug.would take a pretty long intervehical cord. it seems like they would of had a connector on the front like they do for the brakes i will try to hook the lights up that way the next time i have 2 of the big girls close together. be sure to use the brake hosees as it makes a HUGE difference.

jwaller

xm is more or less a prototype designation. supposed to be the same truck. I havent been able to find any differences in the TM's or otherwise.

they mil gives the X to items that havent been thru the ringer yet

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I realize I'm digging up a 3 year old post here, but I figure its related, so I'll post in this thread.

Attached are a photo of my dataplate from my XM818 W/OW and a photo of a dataplate form a M818 W/W. I realize the M818 is with a winch, so the weight is higher and the dimensions are different, but what I'm looking at is the payload capacities. I'm thinking because the XM818 is pre-acceptance, its just rated lower for some reason. To my knowledge, there are not any differences in terms of brakes, axles, etc on the M818s vs the XM818s.

Can the M818 really handle 30000 lbs more than the XM818?

Attachments

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not talking about the weight of the vehicles, I'm talking about the GCWR, which is 44260 lbs for the XM818 and 75955 lbs with the M818.

M813A1

All the " X " means is that the trucks were purchased before a formal contract was made for that model of truck just like TaylorTrading Co said !! The trucks are totally the same model as a truck purchased under contract !!

Ruppster

Member of questionable origins
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The difference is in what the tag is showing. The total weight rating in the XM818 tag is indicating the GVWR while the M818 tag is referencing GCWR. The M818 tag includes a weight category that is not included in the XM818 tag called "Gro. Tlr. Wt."(gross trailer weight). The XM818 tag does not mention trailer weight or anything about the truck's GCWR, only talks about the truck's GVWR.

When you look at the individual axle ratings they are pretty close to each other.

Ruppster

Last edited: