• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

XM820 OPENING

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
XM820 Grand Opening, is more like it! Cool! Did you do it yourself/alone?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The latch on back door is to secure the boarding ladder. Does it have heaters and A/C in the back? Go to the TM section and download TM 9-2330-238-14. It's for the M313, M447, M749 and M750 semi trailers. The M4 van body on your truck is the same body on the M313 semi trailer.

Armada

The top of the ladder hangs/attaches up by the window. The latch on the bottom secures it. Nice Dave. Don't forget the support legs when it's open. And don't let Lane know it's opened up, he'll be bringing parts over for storage... ;)

maxim

820 Expando-Matic!! Egads, I see ole Whitie in the background covered with snow. She musta had had a strange look on her face, er I mean, grill when you cranked that thing out. There must be some serious structure re-enforcement on the corners to hold it all. What would the claim be to what the shelter alone wieghs? Real cool though.

Recovry4x4 said:
The latch on back door is to secure the boarding ladder. Does it have heaters and A/C in the back? Go to the TM section and download TM 9-2330-238-14. It's for the M313, M447, M749 and M750 semi trailers. The M4 van body on your truck is the same body on the M313 semi trailer.
Thank You Kenny. i looked but missed it.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
David:
Like I told you I spent many a shift in one of those and they are the bomb. We even had one that had a platform built on the rear end that lowered to make a patio. You can use the channels in the roof to hold hundreds of pounds I built a custom made suspended rack for the TOC hanging it from them. Sorry no pictures but it was cool.

When we deployed to Desert Shield from Fort Hood, I was the assistant Transportation Officer of the First Cavalry Divisison. We used Houston and Beumont as our ports and midway in the rail move I got a helicopter to take me on a fly over of the rail line. We started seeing papers and equipment strewn along the right of way and sure enough about twenty miles ahead was a van like yours that the side had opened up on and all the unsecured items were flying out with the end panels flopping back and forth.

I know this will be one of your favorties for taking on an overnight trip.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lets see, you need a foot plate for a stabilizer jack, 2 60,000 btu heaters and a 3 ton a/c unit right? I believe I have all of that Sir!

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've fallen out of the expando van while trying to get in/out of it a few times when in the field. Those of you that have used them in the field know EXACTLY what Im talking about. It's a long drop in the dark when your not expecting it, with all your gear and weapon...

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Been there and done that too Mark, something about coming out of a lit van into the blackness of night and the steps being moved to the other door that made my fall memorable. That and tripping over the ground rod and winding up in the camo net. Back in the days before velcro and the ACU a button and camo were bad news for any Soldier.

I even thought of creating a uniform with buttons sewn all over it for use as a discipline measure. Make the Soldier put it on and throw a cammo net over him. By the time he gets out he will have time to think of what he did wrong to get him in this mess.

maxim said:
820 Expando-Matic!! Egads, I see ole Whitie in the background covered with snow. She musta had had a strange look on her face, er I mean, grill when you cranked that thing out. There must be some serious structure re-enforcement on the corners to hold it all. What would the claim be to what the shelter alone wieghs? Real cool though.
LOL yes it seems to be built well. i think the weight is 9,000. whitie has been giving rides and thrills whenever i ask her to.

Elwenil

Very nice! I want one of the expansible van trucks so bad I can taste it. I put all the blame on Tom from Maryland with the 5 ton 8x8 he had with the expansible van body.